Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking somewhere??

Options
i've always metered my fresh water consumption on my boilers--i started using more than normal and now using 10 times normal make up water--over 100 gal./day--can't see any leakage or smell any steam anywhere--if i have a steam leak, is there an instrument i can use to locate a wet spot or hot spot inside a wall without poking holes all over

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    When the boiler is actively making steam and the radiators are hot, go outside and look up at the chimney. If you see steam billowing the boiler is leaking into the firebox and that is why you don't see water anywhere.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,645
    Options
    I've used a Fluke VT04 with good success to find in-slab leaks, as well as checking trap operation, but some of the new IR cameras may be cheaper by now. IIRC there's something you can plug into your smart phone for IR pictures too.
    joegardoski
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Overfill the boiler to the header, and let it sit for a couple of hours. Any leaks will be seen in the fire box, or on the floor.—NBC
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Are some of the wet returns under the basement floor? 100 gallons a day is like 6 to 10 complete fills a day. It has to be obvious somewhere. Walls and/or ceilings would be soaked.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,575
    Options
    All the above with a caution. Make sure the boiler is shut off and you can hold your hand on it before you overfill it and check for leaks