Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Diverter Tee's

Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 428
I cannot find in any literature how to determine the spacing of diverter tees. I know Dan has said. 2 for downfeed, 1 for 1 floor up and 1 for 2 floor up with increased riser sizes. Most other literature agrees but everyone always seems to say "2 monoflo tees may be require if the resistance is too great on the branch assembly" So I found a heater that doesn't work in a house tonight. I figure freeze-up initially but it wasn't. The monoflo on the return is installed backwards. He had it re-piped into 3 monoflo zones when got the new boiler 5 years ago. So... since I am going to fix it I want to make it right. The heater is 5' wide and it's a cast iron stand up. The risers are just on the floor above (so about 10" height gain) and the lengths are approx 10' and 15'. So I guess my question is how can I know what really constitutes "long branch pipes" and "higher flow resistance". The monoflo trunk is 3/4" with 1/2" risers.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    As Dan always says "think like water". It takes the path of least resistance. Which way would you go if you were water?

It may sound simple, but it works.

The Tees should be a MINIMUM distance apart equal to the width of the radiator. If the risers look excessive, place the Tees farther apart or use two monoflo Tees.

A cast iron rad has almost no flow resistance, but the risers...
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Hilly
    That's the thing, what's excessive? 5,10,20,50'?
    It is just a number.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Horizontal or virtical? You can get by with more length in the risers if they're vertical. I know the resistance is the same either way, but the lower buoyancy of heated water naturally goes upward inducing some more flow. I've gone 2 stories to convectors with one monoflo Tee.

If in doubt, use two.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Hilly
    It's horizontal then vertical 10"