Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating pipes. To clean or no?

Options
ImYoungxD
ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
edited January 2018 in Strictly Steam
I plan on insulating the pipes soon and was wondering if I should clean the pipes first before insulating with fiberglass from Home Depot (easy returns). I only have an old picture which shows some of the pipes but the upper pipes have some rust/dirt/dust. Can I also get some feedback on the piping. I can add more pictures if needed. I have an aquastat in the back for heating up the basement but the 1st and 2nd floor is steam.

EDIT: I looked at some previous threads and I am not sure if the pipes had asbestos. I just bought the house 3 months ago.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,387
    Options
    It would have been nice if the header had been higher above the boiler -- but if it's working, I wouldn't fix it.

And I certainly wouldn't bother to clean the pipes before covering them with insulation!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Wrap it up. No need to clean
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,070
    Options
    I would say no need to clean.
    However, this is the best time to check for correct slope of pipes.
    Also many old installs had a lot of space between hangers.
    Pipe can develop a sag just from it's own weight.
    I actually just about add an additional hanger between existing ones.

Checking slope and sags after insulating is very difficult.
    Hangers are better installed on the actual pipe, not after the fact over insulation. I suggest a proper type, perhaps from a big box.
    I personally use 3/8" threaded rod with Sammie Super screws and an "Auto grip" hanger.
  • dgn
    dgn Member Posts: 29
    Options
    The Home Depot fiberglass insulation looked like junk to me. Also, it was all only 1/2" thick. At least 1" thick is what I've read is the minimum advised thickness (though any is better than none). I'm sure there are many better places to get the stuff. I ordered online from this place: http://www.buyinsulationproductstore.com/Fiberglass-Pipe-Insulation-SSL-ASJ/
    I think the boxes arrived in just 2 days.
    Just as reasonably priced as HD but better quality. There's even a chart on the site for converting the circumference of your pipes to proper diameter size. A good razor and gloves would be good for cutting the 3 ft. lengths for shorter runs. If you measure your pipes properly you shouldn't really need to return any of the stuff. Good luck.