Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electronically controlled vent

Options
winnie
winnie Member Posts: 10
Does anyone make a radiator air vent which is electronically controlled, either opening/closing via electrical control, or with a variable orifice where the orifice can be electronic command?

Thanks
Jon

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    A solenoid air valve to be used to open and close a valve. A pair of solenoid air valves and a couple of orifices could be wired to allow you to select orifice A or B.

You would need to develop a control strategy for it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • winnie
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion.

If I use a solenoid valve then I'd probably simply use it to control the air venting directly, modulating the opening. Do you know of solenoid valves for steam temperatures with 1/8" tapping?

I was hoping for something more like an electronic expansion valve as used in refrigeration; something that only required power to change the orifice opening.

-Jon
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    I've controlled venting with zone valves many times.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,216
    Options
    Tunstall makes one, but they seem to be particularly proud of it ... wireless too.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I’ve thought about this for some wall radiators downstairs that I could use to reduce downstairs heating to partially zone it.

I thought about taking one or more Hoffman #3 and piping them to a solenoid. The trick would be having needle valves to still balance the air flow leaving each radiator independently as needed.

I think it could also be possible, and cheaper, to modify a Maid o mist for the same. Not sure what thread size that is for the orifice.

All you need is a thermostatic valve to close when it sees steam.
  • winnie
    Options

I've controlled venting with zone valves many times.

Do you use on/off valves, or proportional valves?

Do you use the zone valves alone, or in combination with some other steam/air vent? (In other words, do you use the zone valve to control the orifice combined with a normal temperature operated vent, or do you sense temperature and close the valve once all the air has been exhausted and you are passing steam?)

Thanks
    Jon
  • winnie
    Options
    mikeg2015 said:

I’ve thought about this for some wall radiators downstairs that I could use to reduce downstairs heating to partially zone it.

The issue that I am dealing with is changing the balance of the system when the outside temperature changes. I thought that I had a nicely balanced system until we hit a cold snap. Now (with outside air at about 10F) my upstairs is way too hot.

What I would like to do is adjust the vent orifice on a couple of radiators downstairs, so that they open wider the colder it gets, and the overall system balance keeps the heat supplied to each room matching the heat loss.

I know that I am misusing the term 'balance'. I don't mean all the radiators getting steam at the exact same time, but rather adjusting the relative time that the radiators are so that temperatures are similar throughout the house'.

Thanks
    Jon