Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Furnace choice and faulty steam heating coil.

Options
VTsteam
VTsteam Member Posts: 37
edited January 2018 in Strictly Steam
Please forgive me if this has been addressed, but I could find no specific answers. I own a 25,000 SF manufacturing plant. Current steam boiler is about 40 years old and rapidly failing. Over the 15 years I've suffered with it have yet to meet a heating technician that was as knowledgeable about steam as the minimal fluency I've absorbed. Hence, I am very apprehensive of local contractors, especially their product recommendations. Coincidentally is always same as what's in stock at a regional distributor or a surplus unit pulled from a renovation. Based of reading here, other sources, radiator sizing, and my current furnace size am considering the Burnham V9A series, 19.3 HP rating. Am curious about feedback on this unit as well as my best burner option. Reliability vs. efficiency is my primary consideration. Also receptive to opinions on fill valve and low water shut off. Currently have McDonnell Miller components that haven't been without problems. Sincere thanks in advance for any help offered. -Don

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,377
    Options
    Where are you located?

Steam pro's are indeed hard to find, but there may be one near you.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • VTsteam
    Options
    I am in Southeastern VT. As you mention, have discovered lot of actors in the trade. Minefield trying to get competent advise and service.
  • Ironman
    Options
    Have you tried the blue "Find a Contractor" tab above? There are some top notch steam pro's on here. May be one near you.
    Bob Boan
  • VTsteam
    Options
    No luck there Bob. I exhausted all easy options before posting here.
  • Ironman
    Options
    Try starting a new post titled "Steam Pro Needed in Southeastern VT".
    Bob Boan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,575
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Southeaster Vt like Brattleboro?

Try @Charlie from wmass he should be listed here. he's only about 1 hour away. He's the best there is but probably busy.

personally I am not a Burnham fan but that's just me

Sadly really good heating contractors are lacking, Steam even more so.

Do you have gas or oil available? Either way with that size boiler oil or gas I would use a Carlin burner. Parts are readily available and anyone (well, maybe not anyone) with a brain can work on it
    Ironman
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    call me.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Ironman
  • VTsteam
    Options
    Rather than starting another thread am appealing for more help. Limping my system thru this record setting cold has been an education. Have heating coils that are stone cold. Both inlet and outlet plumbing is so hot can not hold my hand on it. Condensate return line downstream of steam trap is only warm. Have disassembled and cleaned both rust filter and steam trap insuring they function perfectly. Am at a loss to understand why coil is cold.
  • Ironman
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Path of least resistance. Steams gonna go right to the bottom of the header and out the return rather than through the coil and out. Is there an air vent anywhere on it? What does the header on the other side look like?
    Bob Boan