Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it dangerous!

Options
My mother has an ancient steam boiler. As a matter of fact, it needs replaced and I am getting quotes. It was a coal furnace but was changed to a gas steam boiler over 30 years ago. It has a manual water fill that she left on and it overflowed. I got it drained and it started right up. However, what I believe to be the a pressure relief valve has been spewing out steam all day long (it's like a small "smokestack" to the rear of the unit]. I don't think this ever occurred before but am not sure since i don't live there and haven't for over 25 years. Is this dangerous or normal and if dangerous, should I shut system down? Any comments would be most appreciated as soon as possible. Thanks.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It should be replaced. It likely blew when the boiler fired up with that much water in it and the pressure exceeded the 15 PSI it is rated for. Once they blow, they should be replaced but, if you shut the boiler down so that the steaming stops, you may be able to take it off and wash it out. It probably had some crud blow into it that is preventing the valve from properly seating. Once you clean it and put it back on, it may hold to get you through the night, or next few days if you are replacing the boiler soon, otherwise you should spend a few bucks and replace it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Well, it isn't good, for sure. The pressure relief valve should have a pipe on it going towards the floor. They don't always... it should also close tight at pressures below 15 psi.

On the other hand, it could be an air vent. That should close tight when steam hits it.

A picture would help here.

Either way, however, it's something which should be fixed as soon as possible -- which, given that this is Friday night of New Year's weekend may be a rather tall order, unless your mother has a service contract.

If it were mine to care for, I'd shut it down until I could figure out exactly what it was that's spewing steam and get it repaired or replaced. I suspect that there are other things wrong as well -- it is quite likely that the pressure safety control isn't doing it's job, for one thing.

So... bottom line: I'd shut it down until I got it fixed.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Jean-David Beyer
  • TimothyG
    TimothyG Member Posts: 5
    Options
    thank you Fred. But do you think is it dangerous to let it be for the night.
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Whatever you do, do NOT plug or cap it. It's a Safety device and without it you could have a boiler explosion . While it is venting, what pressure does the gauge indicate. If it's under 5 psi or so and the gauge is working properly just clean or replace the relief valve
  • TimothyG
    Options
    There is no gauge. It is that old. The coal furnace itself is probably over 50 years old with the conversion about 30 years ago. Its' really time to replace and I am planning to do this soon.
  • TimothyG
    Options
    this is a mess.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Is there any pressure controller?

Even if there is, I'd only run it if I absolutely had to for life safety of an occupant who couldn't be moved. And if I were to do that, I'd run it by hand, and never leave it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You certainly don't want it to continue steaming all night long. You either have to get it to close or shut the boiler down. i don't know where you are but it is zero here. You don't want water pipes to freeze either. I'd be trying to get the valve to close for the night.If left steaming, the boiler could run dry and then that becomes a crisis that is extremely dangerous to person and property.
  • TimothyG
    Options
    Thank you all for the information. I will shut it down and pick my mother up.

thanks again.
    adasilva
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Where are you located? Maybe we can help.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Jean-David Beyer
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    If you can give us a picture of the part which is leaking steam, we can be of more help.—NBC