Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Here's to you, Mr Pex heating Man

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
edited December 2017 in Thermostats and Controls
Note to self, don't clip the pex to an outside rim joist; the insulators won't think twice about covering it up

edit- not sure how i landed this in controls
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I had one customer who also had their rim joist foamed, and I had to get a pipe through it. I didn't open up the foam to inspect for anything ,as nobody puts anything on the rim joist. Well, except for the 100 amp house feed line. Don't know why I did not kill myself. Just nicked it hard enough to blow one leg and take out part of the house power. Easy enough fix, and now I check before drilling.
    Rick
  • GW
    Options
    wow foam is a pain, like rolling the dice
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    Options

Just nicked it hard enough to blow one leg and take out part of the house power.
    Rick

My brother did that very thing, drilling with a Diversibit. He thought it was funny, but just because he really didn't know what happened. I forgot to check before I told him where to drill at!

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    I had insulation blown into the walls a couple of years back just before siding the house, I'm to old to paint a 2 story house anymore.

I was working on the computer when the one of the guys yelled oh ****, I went out to the kitchen and he said he bit into power line, I looked into the whole and could see the wire the bit chewed through. They wanted to call their electrician but I told them to give me 15 minutes first. I wired that area myself 35 years ago so I had a good idea of how I wired it.

It took me 20 minutes to pull out the bad line and feed the circuit from a nearby box. i turned the breaker back on, they got back to work and I know the how the repair was done.

This all comes under the rubric of "**** happens", fix it and move on.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Was doing some wiring in a house and it was getting late had someplace to go. I was rushing to get out of there. 20 minutes to run the last 20' of romex crossways to the joists drilling holes in the middle of them, pull the cover off the panel tie it in and I am done.

Of course I drilled right through the middle of a romex run on the other side of the floor joist. Of course the wire is too short to splice so now it's a 2 box fix. To this day I never drill through a joist without feeling the other side

DUMB D DUMB DUMB
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I remember, years ago, installing some imitation brick on one wall in a kitchen. Kitchen was 9'X12'. There was a washer and dryer hook-up on one end of the kitchen and I had the cover off of the 220 dryer outlet on that wall and laid the section of brick over it so I could trim around it and put the cover back over it, all nice and neat. I took a razor knife and felt my way around that box but I let the knife slip and it hit the terminals on the 220 outlet. Funny, I remember hitting every wall in that kitchen before I could let go of the knife. It was like I was that Stretch toy the kids play with. I know there was no possible way I could have hit all the walls but I swear I did. When I finally let go of the knife, all I could do was sit on the floor and laugh my **** off.
  • GW
    Options
    Feeling the other side of the joist: roger that. It’s just a reflex now. How many of us, when we exist a customers home, turn the door knob to see is its locked or unlocked? I don’t know when I started doing this, I guess at one point I may have locked myself out and my tools in. Funny how we get into a routine.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Canuckerratiorick in Alaska
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Locking my keys in the truck is my favorite trick. I keep a spare key in my wallet.

But that can't stop me.

On way to a job I went through a Dunkin Doughnuts drive through to get a coffee. Just north of Worcester.Of course I took my wallet out and had it on the console so I could pay.

I pull up to the job and get out of the truck when I get a phone call so I sit back in the truck to talk cause it's cold.

after the phone call I left my keys with my wallet on the console and get out and lock the doors.

so keys in truck, spare key in wallet in truck, AAA card in truck

So I called AAA and they came and saved me although I had to talk fast as my card was in the truck.

Lucky I held on to my coffee when I locked myself out. Triple A is the best $100 you can spend

Do I check my pocket for keys and wallet every time I get out of the truck??.......about 1000 times a day.

But once a year or so...........................
  • GW
    Options
    Ed, that's a rough one. Years ago my Ford Explorer would lock itself; keys in the ignition. At first I thought it was me. After 3 times, I started using a 'single key' for the daily/regular use I and also held a key ring (10-12 keys) in my pocket, with the Explorer key on it too. I carry that same tradition today; once in a blue moon my Yukon will lock--perhaps i graze the lock button on my out.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    Options
    I've traveled with two keys in-pocket for nigh on a decade now, plus on in the console (under a pile of ...well, trash :wink: ), plus one more at home. One of the pocket keys doesn't have the chip in it, so even though it'll unlock everything it won't start the engine. Not sure if that's a plus or not though.