Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Who says steam isn't innovative? Early Christmas present...

Sailah
Sailah Member Posts: 826
Sorry for the brag, I hope you'll allow it... o:)

Today, we were picked as finalists in the 2018 IoT Innovation World Cup from over 900+ entrants for our ultrasonic steam trap monitoring system. We got a nomination in both the industrial and LoRaWAN categories.

http://www.innovationworldcup.com/2017/12/9406/

Probably need to do some acronym definintions

IoT= Internet of Things, the 4th Industrial Revolution. Amazon Alexa, Nest thermostats, GE smart lightbulbs etc
LoRaWAN= Long-range, wide area network. This is the radio protocol we use to allow our monitors to send small amounts of data really long distances.

Originally applied because there is no bad publicity for a startup. Getting the nod wasn't even in the remotest of all possibilities in my mind. Now I get to go to Barcelona in February at the Mobile World Congress and give one of those cool speeches on stage with flashing lights and lasers. At least that's what I imagine in my mind!

So I guess steam is kinda cool!!

Peter Owens
SteamIQ
Canuckerhydro_newbieMilanDdelta TKC_JonesIronmanNew England SteamWorksRomanGK_26986764589b_bzKoanMarkS

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    In my opinion you have earned bragging rights on this board....brag all you want.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    BobCNew England SteamWorksSailahb_bz
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    +1, when you're bragging...you're not bragging...congrats.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Sailah
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    From what I've read of your monitoring system it can save institutions a lot of money by identifying trap problems before the complaint stack starts to grow.

i agree with KC's sentiment completely.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Sailah
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    Congratulations!!
    Sailah
  • steamhouse
    steamhouse Member Posts: 41
    Congrats Peter !!
    Sailah
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Thanks guys, it was a real honor to be selected. I hope I didn't sound too proud.

I doubt if a single person there will know what a steam trap is but that's what makes the space interesting.

You can talk all you want about smart fabrics or some esoteric application but steam drives a lot of industry and that's what seems to resonate with people. Fixing a real problem with technology that is hard to fix with manual labor.

We have had some interesting inquiries about detecting gas leaks in pipelines to bearing failures so there are some cool tangents as well.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2017
    I heard Mark Cuban talk a few years ago about sensors being the future in a lot of industries, including medical. You are right there on a cutting edge, Peter. Just amazing. Congrats!!
    Sailah
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,578
    Well done! Proud of you all. Thanks for sharing the great news.
    Retired and loving it.
    Sailah
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    just came back from Barcelona! congrats and have fun
    Sailah
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Congratulations @Sailah ! You deserve it!
    Sailah
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    CONGRATS PETER!