Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Saniflo Sanicondens Best Neutralizer

Options
Vinny_5
Vinny_5 Member Posts: 59
I recently noticed some dripping on my boiler room floor and reaIized that the culprit was a corroded metal fitting used to catch the condensate from the flex tubing before it went through a Lochinvar neutralizer and then to the condensate pump. It has been in use around 5 years or so. I decided to do away with the 2 separate items and just installed this combination pump/neutralizer to drain the condensate from my Knight boiler and it seems to be a really nice product. What surprised me was the amount of condensate produced in such a short period of time. While waiting the 2 days for the unit to arrive from Amazon, I used a 28 pound cat litter bucket to catch the condensate and it filled between 1/3 and 1/2 of it with condensate during each 24 hour period. I attached some pics of the corroded fitting and the new unit I installed.

talled.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    you cannot use any metal fittings for condensate collection or disposal
    IronmanCanuckerTinman
  • Vinny_5
    Options
    Yes that was the only metal fitting that the installer used, and it was right at where the flex tubing discharged. It does drain into copper piping after neutralization though.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    On the 3/8" discharge hose of my cond pumps I insert a short length of 3/8" OD soft copper. This is my indicator that the neu rocks are getting depleted.

Today, servicing/cleaning a Loch Mod Con, I noticed the end of the copper was getting a little fuzzed from corrosion. Time for new rocks. (4 years) The factory neutralizer does not have a lot of chips in it. I prefer to build my own with 2-3 times marble chips content.

The amount of liquid condensation is probably a good indicator of actual condensing operation efficiency.
    Did you check the boiler combustion chamber for the infamous "coffee grounds"?

On your new unit is the pump sold as a separate replacement part?
    kcopp
  • Vinny_5
    Options
    That's a cool way to gauge the effectiveness of the chips. I just changed them myself every year when I would clean out the drain trap as they are so cheap to buy in bulk.
    My Knight is a wall hung unit with a fire tube design, so no Giannoni HX in my unit that collects the "coffee grounds" as far as I can see. From what I can see in the schematic, it looks like the pump is a separate replaceable part. It does come with a 3 year warranty too. Here is a link to the paperwork showing the exploded view:
    http://www.saniflo.com/upload/products/59/notice-sanicondens-best-a5-30.04.2015-bd.pdf

I attached a couple of pics of the old Lochinvar Neutralizer and the chips I buy in bulk.
    I'm also selling the old Lochinvar neutralizer and Little Giant pump too.

• Vinny_5
    Options
    Just a quick update on the performance of the neutralizer after a week and a half of use. I tested the PH level of the treated water today and it seems to be doing a fine job.
    The first picture is that of the treated condensate water and the second picture is of my regular tap water as a reference. It is definitely safe for discharging into my copper drain pipes without fear of the copper being eaten away.

• Chowdahead
    Chowdahead Member Posts: 59
    Options
    brand name of ph gauge please
  • Vinny_5
    Options
    It's an HTH test gauge.
  • Vinny_5
    Options
    Getting ready for the fall/winter seasons and just tested the treated condensate today. I have an indirect water heater so the boiler runs all year round. PH on right is my tap water and PH on left is the Saniflo neutralizer, which seems to still be doing it's job.