Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need to add water weekly?

Does it make sense that I need to add water to my one pipe steam system weekly?

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2017
    No, that's not normal, but it depends. How large is your system and how much water are you adding?

It's possible you are losing water somewhere. Do you have any buried returns? Also, are all the vents closing when steam hits them? How long has it been acting like this? Worst case scenario, hole above the water line in the boiler. You can check for leaks by flooding the boiler.

• toraziyal_3
    toraziyal_3 Member Posts: 23
    The last couple of weeks its been acting like this. (It has been markedly colder though.)

We have a low water cut off device setup. I add just enough water so that the water is just below the halfway mark. Less than a gallon I would say.

There are no buried returns. It's the 2nd story of a 2 family building. We have 7 radiators in that 1500 sq ft.

I did just note one of the radiators leaking around the steam inlet valve. It's a very small leak. I will try to tighten the connection there once the radiator cools down.

I need to check about the vents.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It doesn't take much of a leak to lose a gallon of water a week. I suspect that inlet valve you found leaking is the source of the problem. Just for reference, last week I had a bathroom sink faucet start to drip (and I mean a drip about every two or three seconds). I put the stopper in the sink to see how much water that equated to over an hour or so. I forgot about it until I went back into that bathroom about eight hours later and, had it not been for the overflow in the sink, it would have over-filled out, onto the floor!
    MilanDRomanGK_26986764589
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    If one stem is leaking. The odds are some non visible vapor is also leaking on others.

What pressure are you running? Reducing pressure can dramatically reduce leaks. I have evidence in many places of leaks in the past but at the low pressures I’m at I now it’s minimal.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    This.
    Fred said:

It doesn't take much of a leak to lose a gallon of water a week. I suspect that inlet valve you found leaking is the source of the problem. Just for reference, last week I had a bathroom sink faucet start to drip (and I mean a drip about every two or three seconds). I put the stopper in the sink to see how much water that equated to over an hour or so. I forgot about it until I went back into that bathroom about eight hours later and, had it not been for the overflow in the sink, it would have over-filled out, onto the floor!

• toraziyal_3
    The lowest you can go, 0.5 cut in on the pressuretrol with the differential set to 1.

The overall system is pretty old overall (the boiler was replaced in 2011 but I know the pipes running to and from the radiators are a lot older.) I guess I wouldn't be surprised if there were other smaller leaks that we can't see. The folks who owned the house before us definitely did not maintain things well.

We'll tighten that one up and keep an eye out.
  • Kahooli
    Kahooli Member Posts: 112
    I'm a fan of keeping a water meter on the feed line and logging the usage weekly. a quality water meter is about $50 though
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    I recall on an earlier post you were adding insulation to your mains. If you haven't covered them up already, try checking any unions you have on your mains. I've found on my system they are the weak spots that are prone to loosen up over time and start leaking.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

toraziyal_3
  • toraziyal_3
    acwagner said:

I recall on an earlier post you were adding insulation to your mains. If you haven't covered them up already, try checking any unions you have on your mains. I've found on my system they are the weak spots that are prone to loosen up over time and start leaking.

That's right. We have insulated most of the long runs and have not gotten to the connections yet. Now that I know we'll be keeping an eye on those for a bit as well.
  • toraziyal_3
    Well it appears to be the radiator valve that was leaking that made us lose all that water. I left a drip pain under the valve for a couple of days. It looked like we were loosing about 1 cup of so of water a day.

We tightened the valve with a little Teflon around the threads. All is good now.
    MilanD
  • Fred
    Good for you!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    I have to add water once a week if it's an extreme week such as below zero every night all week. Otherwise it's once a month typically. Once every 2 months in mild weather
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • @ChrisJ How much water do you approximately add when you refill the boiler?
  • ChrisJ

@ChrisJ How much water do you approximately add when you refill the boiler?

I don't let it drop nearly as far as most people.

I only let it drop 1/2 an inch or so in the gauge glass, but I think I figured out I add approximately a quart or so but I could be wrong.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ said:

@ChrisJ How much water do you approximately add when you refill the boiler?

I don't let it drop nearly as far as most people.

I only let it drop 1/2 an inch or so in the gauge glass, but I think I figured out I add approximately a quart or so but I could be wrong.

I also have WM EG 40 and I recently added about 1 inch on the gauge glass since I first filled the boiler on October 26th. I remember awhile ago I measured and 1 inch on the gauge glass equals about 1 gallon of water in WM Eg 40 boiler. So I use about 2 or 3 gallons of water per season. Is it excessive?
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2017
    > @RomanGK_26986764589 said:
    > @ChrisJ How much water do you approximately add when you refill the boiler?
    >
    >
    > I don't let it drop nearly as far as most people.
    >
    > I only let it drop 1/2 an inch or so in the gauge glass, but I think I figured out I add approximately a quart or so but I could be wrong.
    >
    >
    >
    > I also have WM EG 40 and I recently added about 1 inch on the gauge glass since I first filled the boiler on October 26th. I remember awhile ago I measured and 1 inch on the gauge glass equals about 1 gallon of water in WM Eg 40 boiler. So I use about 2 or 3 gallons of water per season. Is it excessive?

I don't think it is no. Most if not all of that is lost as humidity when the system breaths. The air it sucks in is dry and the air it vents out is damp.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • JPL941
    JPL941 Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2023

• The important thing to know about steam boiler water loss would be the gallons used. The best LWCO’s have an added water meter which will record the added water volume over the entire life of the boiler.
    It would be hard to judge only from the site glass movement whether your usage was abnormal or not. You can inspect the wet return piping, and do an overfilling test if you feel the boiler needs to be topped up too frequently.—NBC
  • Fred
    There is some evaporation with steam heat. As Nick said, have a meter on the water feeder is more accurate. Another way to determine how much water you are using is to fill the boiler sight glass back up to it's normal level, then drain the water, into a bucket, back down to your clothes pin and measure how much water is in the bucket. A quarter to a half inch, over 12 days, if the boiler is running a lot, doesn't seem excessive.
    midiman143RomanGK_26986764589