Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Have to reset boiler with circuit breaker

Oglan
Oglan Member Posts: 4
Hey all, looking for some guidance here, I have a boiler system with circulators, and a ss-1 powervent, Oil company has been here 6 times now and cannot figure out the issue, they have replaced the power vent pc board, cleaned the vacuum switch tube, The issue is the primary control does not go off on reset, but if i shut off and back on circuit breaker the unit will fire up fine and run for days if not weeks. And no the breaker is not tripping either. Any help would be appreciated. Could it be the primary control?

Comments

• Oglan
    Oglan Member Posts: 4
    The boiler just seems to lose all power until we reset breaker.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    ...The issue is the primary control does not go off on reset...
    Can you clarify this a little better? To me that means when you push and hold the reset button the burner continues to fire, but I'm sure that's not what you mean.
    So when the burner won't fire, has the tech went from the service switch and qualified/quantified the incoming power? Checking volts, neutral, ground and hertz.

Then move down the line and check each component for 120v.
    If so, then somewhere along the way, it should've been diagnosed properly.
    Or if you're oil company isn't charging you any more, have them keep throwing parts at it until its fixed-there's only a few more to go!
    steve
    CTOilHeat
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    No lights or anything from the P control or circuit board?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Can you post some pics of the boiler from different angles about 10 feet away?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    To amplify @STEVEusaPA 's comment -- be sure the tech. checking the voltage and all does so with the circuit under load. Checking with no load will not identify an intermittent bad connection, which is one of the possibilities here.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    If your wiring is good then I would suspect the control. But, as @STEVEusaPA & @Jamie Hall said if they have been their 6 times and still don't know the answer to that then I would be looking for someone more qualified