Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

near boiler piping, best way to add squick to burnham steam boiler

I have an independence steam boiler by burnham. Since I have no large opening on the top of the boiler to add Squick and I am replacing the near boiler piping that the contractor did such a poor job installing, I was thinking of adding a wye to one or both risers, plugging the wye when not being used to add Squick. The wye would be 2", same size as the riser. Will a wye like this interfere with the steam making it's way to the header?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Well, the installer should also have cleaned the piping as he put it together. That being said, don't use Squick. You're gonna have to properly skim the boiler, probably multiple times.

Was a skim port installed as per the manufacturer's I/O manual?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • I second that advice. Squick will encapsulate the oils, and fall to the bottom, making a hard insulating layer between the flame and the water.
    You can be happy that your bad installer did NOT put any in!
    Look on this site for details about skimming, and do that.—NBC
  • stevenknaub
    stevenknaub Member Posts: 24
    I have a "factory plugged surface blow off" that is 1" NPT threaded opening that is likely what you are talking about, it remains plugged. I could remove the plug and put a nipple and cap on the blow off. Is that what you recommend?
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    A skim port will be on the side of the boiler at about the water line and it is probably 2". could be hidden behind the jacket. Your owners manual will point it out.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • stevenknaub
    stevenknaub Member Posts: 24
    Also, I asked Burnham what is the best water to use in my boiler and they've refused to answer, saying it's a liability. My city water is very hard, and my water softened water is very soft. I now know not to use softened water, and also know hard water is not good either. What is the best water to use in a residential boiler to limit scale and limit rust?
  • If the boiler is properly installed, and maintained, it will only need a few gallons a year, so not much calcium in that.--NBC