Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Honeywell R8845u reliability vs transformer+fan relay

dynastyssdynastyss Posts: 14Member
Hello!

So I purchased a home that has a gas fireplace (only source of heat in the house) and for the first 10 months their setup had worked flawlessly. They were using a 750ma/24va sprinkler timer transformer to power the Nest which then went a Packard PR380 24vac fan relay. A few weeks ago the Nest would show that it is running, set to 68, but the house temperature dropped to 39 degrees. I drove up to look and the fireplace would kick on for a minute, then stop even though the Nest was still orange and allegedly heating. I replaced the transformer and it did nothing. I then replaced the relay and it worked again.
Obviously the spring or something in the relay had gone bad. That said, it is 200 miles away and I was anxious about it going bad again in an inconvenient time so I went about changing it. I bought a Honeywell R8845U1003 which seems to do everything all in one box, and I drove up and swapped it out. It works as expected but what I am really hoping is that it is more reliable. It seems this box is made for millivolt systems, but I am curious if anyone is using this and how long as it worked trouble free? Am I crazy to assume this should be more reliable?

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 12,161Member
    Don't worry about the millivolt bit. That just means that the contacts have a low enough resistance (not all relays do) so it can be used on millivolt systems -- but it is not limited to them.
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • dynastyssdynastyss Posts: 14Member
    Thanks Jamie. How long can I expect the relays to last?
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 6,582Member
    As far as I am concerned Honeywell relays are as reliable as you can get.
  • dynastyssdynastyss Posts: 14Member
    That's good to hear! So presumably I can expect years of work out of these relays :)

I wonder if the duration that they are "on" has any effect? Often the fireplace is on for 20+ hours a day.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 12,161Member
    Relays are rated in cycles, not on time. So the long on time is not a consideration. That said, the control board is sensitive to dirty electric power. If you are way out in the woods and the lights flicker and blink, a surge protector on that circuit -- at the very least -- would not be a bad idea.
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch