Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help me identify this steam trap

Options
zoom
zoom Member Posts: 72
I have been systematically going through my two pipe steam system and replacing the thermostatic radiator trap inserts. So far I have not had any difficulty identifying each radiator trap and getting a new cage unit.

However, I have a few of these traps (see pictures) that serve some smaller radiators. The only identification I can find on the traps says "AUTOVALVE PAT JUNE 3 03 AUG 9 04"

Unlike the other thermostatic traps I've worked on, there is no lid that screws off to reveal a cage unit. Instead there is a small cap at the top that screws off to reveal an adjustable stem that seems to move what might might be an internal cage unit up and down.

My preference is to repair the traps rather than replace them. However, if they're not reparable, I will replace them with a new thermostatic trap.

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    May I ask an obvious question? Are you quite sure the traps aren't working properly? If they are, then the next obvious question is -- why do you feel you need to replace them?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    huh, thats a new one on me....whose name is on an original inlet valve. That may help us.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Never seen that one before. How does it attach to radiator?

While I won't say it can't be fixed, it seems unlikely just based on configuration. I would open up the two halves and see what is inside. You could also send it to Barnes & Jones and see if they can fit something to it.

I personally would replace those couple you have. If you have 100s it would be a different story.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • zoom
    zoom Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I am not absolutely certain that the traps don't work, but given that the traps haven't been changed out for at least ten years, and given the traps I have changed were in atrocious shape and clearly not working, then it is likely that these traps are working very poorly at best.

I have a total of four of these kinds of traps. It might be that the only option is to replace them entirely.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    well if Peter hasn't seen it, it is a rare bird.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options

well if Peter hasn't seen it, it is a rare bird.

I didn't think there was such a thing!

But on the age -- I have quite a number of traps on the system in the main place I care for, which are 80 years old -- and all but one of them are working fine (that one is failed open, but since it is on a vapour system with restriction in the inlet, it isn't really needed anyway).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dennis1679
    Dennis1679 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    I haven’t seen this one. Send the pic to Barnes and Jones. They will know