Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help Please! Determine boiler age

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,461
Greetings,
I am writing a new book and was hoping to include a list of ways to determine the age of a boiler. I was hoping you could share with me any secrets you have for doing that such as a secret formula, decoder ring, or looking at the serial with squinted eyes. I will be eternally grateful for your input.
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• Old serial number plates are hard to read. Wiping down, and rubbing pencil lead over it can make it easier to read.
    Really though, should one ever question a lady about her age?—NBC
    Erin Holohan HaskellCanucker
  • RayWohlfarth
    Nicholas, LOL Ever the Gentleman. Thanks
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,617
    Count the rings? :wink:
    & another trick with nameplates is a pic with your phone. Both with & without the flash, from several angles. Sometimes you can zoom in & see impressions or surface differences left by the old text. I like to send pics of model/serial #'s to the office when I order parts, that way I don't get blamed for a wrong number!
  • Good idea, and the camera can be held at angles not achievable by 72 year old knees!—NBC
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    sometimes the components on the boiler or system can help, gas valve, circulators, etc. Most manufacturers build a date into the serial number, it could be coded or as simple as week and year like Grunfos has used.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    unclejohn
  • RayWohlfarth
    Thanks for the info everyone I will let you know if I come across something to help
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I drag a grandson around to take pictures. He can get down easier, has a better camera phone and just e-mails the pictures to me so I can see them on the big screen. ;)

For dating things, we got NG here in 1967, that is one benchmark.
    If something looks converted from LP to NG, then that benchmark is out.

I also look for evidence of a coal room, coal shoot, oil lines and maybe buried oil tank...vents & fill. Footprints of old equipment on the floor can tell stories.
    Asbestos insulation and/or painted pipe might reveal original parts or those from later changes.
    Canucker
  • RayWohlfarth
    You sound like Sherlock Holmes JUGHNE
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,617
    Sherlock Holmes had it easy. He chased dishonest crooks. We have, additionally and in no particular order: the clueless, the know-it-alls, the know-you're-the-crooks, and engineers. :)
    JUGHNE
  • RayWohlfarth
    Ratio thanks for the Sunday chuckle
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    With residential boilers, I'm not sure how much age matters. I suspect that many boilers are replaced, before necessary, due to sales pressure. My hot-water boiler is 60+ years old, based on when it was originally installed. It has been well maintained, and runs fine.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    @ratio

Sometimes you follow the dishonest crooks. :smile:
    ratio