Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clicking from built-in steam riser

Options
I just finished a remodel in a 100 year old building with a 1-pipe system. We replaced the old radiators with Charleston Pro by Steam Radiators. We have one rise, in a wall, that clicks during the cycle. When I place my hand on the wall, I can actually feel a vibration. If I move my hand along the wall, the intensity changes. I assume there's something rubbing against something in the wall. I work from home and it's driving me mad. Mad enough that I am about to cut into the wall in an attempt to stop it.

I know water hammer can be hard to locate, but this is a different sound. And, I can feel the vibration. Should I open the wall?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    That's almost certainly an expansion noise -- particularly if it is early in a heating cycle. Look around and see if you can figure out what the riser is rubbing against and either move it enough to clear or put a rubbing piece in -- I use pieces from plastic milk bottles.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DebiMemmolo
    DebiMemmolo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Jaimie. My issue is that it's in a wall. Sounds like a hole is in order. That's probably cheaper than a stint at the psych ward.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    Start in the cellar if you can that binding could be where it passes through the floor.
    Is the pipe original to the system? Or was it replace, moved or anchored during the wood phase?
    Check where it passes through the floor to the radiator as well. Good luck
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker