Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to make quick decision on replacing oil burner with gas
Been putting off replacing a very old oil burner for too long, now its late November, and my oil burner is on its last legs, and need to make a quick decision before it gets any colder. Am pretty sure we want to switch to gas, as its already in the house (currently using for stove and water heater), and that part seems like a no-brainer
Have talked to one plumber I have used before, as well as rep from a supply company, and have one more heating guy coming out tomorrow. But just some quick specs, and a few questions to the board, so I know what questions to ask
Specs. House is 1928 era, about 2200 square feet, and mostly old hot water radiators on a single zone. There is a second zone with some baseboards in a new addition.
We love the heat from the old radiators, and want to make sure the new system runs them as effectively as our 35+ year old Weil-McLain old burner, even if not the absolutely most effecient setup
So some questions:
1) People I've talked to so far all suggest that we should avoid very high-efficiency gas, as they are known to be problematic. Also, where the current furnace is located is adjacent to chimney, but not on an outside wall, so may be problematic for direct vent. Do people concur?
2) Is there any reason a gas furnace would be less reliable in heating a system with old hot water radiators than our current oil system?
3) First plumber mentioned brands Burnham and Buderus. Both seem to not have the greatest of reviews online. What is the view of those brands?
4) Chimney has an old clay liner that we have been told should be replaced, but we have been holding off because we weren't sure whether we would be going oil or gas. What type of liner do I need for a gas furnace.
5) Both people who have been out have measured the radiators, but didn't do a heat/loss assessment. How necessary is this. We don't have the best of insulation.
Any other specific questions I should be asking before making a decision?