Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wash Bay System

Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,561
I am looking to replace a commercial pressure washer/instantaneous water heater with something new.
The existing setup is worn out and the customer would like to explore some options.
The wash bay is used for a fleet of 20-30 shuttle vans. When the drivers are done with a shift, they pull into the bay, wash the van and park it.
Ideally the new setup would be more compact than the existing and perhaps wall hung. The constant on /off of the existing water heater burner has led to maintenance issues. I would like to explore the idea of a commercial tank type water heater with a separate pressure washer.
Attached is the new model similar to what is presently installed.
Does anyone have experience with wash bay systems?
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I have been involved with a few and have always felt it best to stay with the packaged water heater/pressure washers that are commercially available.
  • Zman
    Harvey,
    I was trying to remember who had posted about this in the past. Now I remember.
    Do you have a favorite brand? Is there any magic to sizing the pressure washer side.
    I would like to explore higher efficiency on the water heater. The existing one is just a Cajun burner inside a coil. With the short cycles, it can't be more than 50% efficient.
    Albert Einstein
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,095
    Monorail carwash systems are the ones you want to call to solve this for you.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Reverse indirect with mod con boiler works about as efficient as it can be short of a Hotsy or the like. Mod con can be remote to avoid it ingesting cleaning chemicals.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    And consider solar pre heat. Get it in the works before the credits expire.

Not many car washes use hot water anymore, just a small amount to blend soaps and the wax chemicals, everything else is cold water, some use RO for the final rinse to eliminate water spots on the glass and paint.

The new soap formulas work just as well with cold as hot and the energy savings is huge.

I put radiant in several of the washes in Missouri 12 years ago, a very small tankless for blending soap and the restrooms was the only DHW in the building
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,095
    Another option for you would be to replace the current unit with a hot water generator from LANDA and be sure to feed it with soft water other wise you need an acid type soap as used in steam jennies to keep the coils clean
  • Zman
    I think am going to go with a high efficiency, high output, sealed combustion tank like the AO smith cyclone. Then put in a wall hung warm water pressure washer.
    It is not a car wash, it is a wash bay where they wash the vans like a self service car wash.
    Albert Einstein
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    > @Zman said:
    > Harvey,
    > I was trying to remember who had posted about this in the past. Now I remember.
    > Do you have a favorite brand? Is there any magic to sizing the pressure washer side.
    > I would like to explore higher efficiency on the water heater. The existing one is just a Cajun burner inside a coil. With the short cycles, it can't be more than 50% efficient.

I should clarify. I have not installed any. I have been doing the mechanicals in buildings where they were going in. I have to run the gas and electric and such. When asked about hot water production for them, I always advise the building owners to hire a pressure washing company to sell and install their system. I don't feel that it is advantageous to the building owner to have to hire 2 different companies to service 1 system.

As far as flow rate and sizing, that is determined by the max available pressure, the max water temp and the accumulated gpm of the washer wand nozzles. You have to find out which nozzles they are using.
    Zman
  • hot_rod
    As you know that mountain water is very hard. If they are using large amounts of heated water, might be wise to suggest a softener. Especially if they run 140F and hotter, lot of mineral precipitation.

I wonder that a plate HX with Webstone flush valves would a be a longer lasting, easier to service method to generate DHW for that application.

Although I still think a cold wash and rinse would be a better choice, most all new hand and auto wash are cold only now :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Zman
    hot rod said:

As you know that mountain water is very hard. If they are using large amounts of heated water, might be wise to suggest a softener. Especially if they run 140F and hotter, lot of mineral precipitation.

I wonder that a plate HX with Webstone flush valves would a be a longer lasting, easier to service method to generate DHW for that application.

Although I still think a cold wash and rinse would be a better choice, most all new hand and auto wash are cold only now :)

I have been pondering the same thing. I don't think that the 45 degree water coming from the city will work as it won't melt the snow very well and the employees will complain about the cold water. Water in the 80-90 degree range would be a good compromise.
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    Zman said:

hot rod said:

I have been pondering the same thing. I don't think that the 45 degree water coming from the city will work as it won't melt the snow very well and the employees will complain about the cold water. Water in the 80-90 degree range would be a good compromise.
    Good point about mountain temperature water! 90 degrees so it is just above skin temperature would be a good option. no sense in heating to 120 or 140 then mixing cold so it is useable with a hand wash.

Maybe a large enough tankless is a good option in this case. if they are cared for, de-limed, then work just fine.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA