Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flaring tools

Options
Jack
Jack Member Posts: 1,047
I have had a couple instances on 410A where the 1/4” die on my Yellow Jacket 60278 slips...with predictable results. Disappointing as when it is right it leaves beautiful flares. It doesn’t hold the 1/4” tubing securely, pushing it back as you run the die in. YJ does not sell parts for this tool. What is a good 410A flaring tool?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    I've had great luck with a brand called Anchor, United carries them. Super cheap compared to Ritchie, but very good quality, eccentric cone with roller bearings. I can't recall if they go down to ¼ though, sorry.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I been using the last few years the Imperial Pro-Set and very happy with it .. I like that you can use the 3/8" ratchet that comes with it.. Less strain on the wrist . About $100

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Have you cleaned the die in the clamping block?
    The blocks that I have are grooved to grip the tubing and if dirty would slip.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    @Big Ed I've had excellent results with the same one. Best one I've used to date.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    > @Big Ed said:
    > I been using the last few years the Imperial Pro-Set and very happy with it .. I like that you can use the 3/8" ratchet that comes with it.. Less strain on the wrist . About $100

I've got the same set. Never fails. Beautiful flares every time.
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    I have the same problem with my YJ tool on 1/4 inch. I have had good luck with the Spin Flare.

flaringspin.com/

Also , United Refrigeration sells a Daikin Flare Gauge for like 8 bucks ( a plastic one ). They make an aluminium one but I have not had any luck locating a source for these by themselves.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I just received a Hilmor Orbital Flaring tool. Pretty slick and you do not need three hands. It is identical to the Imperial kit shown in Big Ed's post, but did not come in a nice case. My daughters 15 yr old furnace gave out and I'm putting in a triple head Fujitsu today and tomorrow. Yesterday, working alone, I pulled all the crap ductwork out as well as plenums, furnace and venting. At 69 in a dirt crawl space for a couple days I am thinking about my daughter..."How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!"