Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Veissman or...

Options
Tim_9
Tim_9 Member Posts: 24
I am planning to upgrade our cast iron Buderus boiler to a Mod Con(single temp concrete floor system). I looked at Veissman's at first, always wanted one but they were a bit to expensive when I purchased the Buderus. Our financial picture is better now and we could go with Veissman this time around but the HTP UFT-80/Westinghouse WBRUNG080W (same boiler from what I understand) caught my eye.

On paper its a better fit, 10:1 vs. 6:1 turn down with a min fire or 8,000 vs 21,000 btu's, fire tube HE so no need for primary/secondary piping, internal piping for an indirect and of course they are almost half the cost (and cheaper to install due to direct piping and no need for a boiler circ). Anyone out there have any experience with these units or an opinion on which way to go? Is there any major drawbacks to fire tube HE's?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited November 2017
    Options
    We're installing quite a few of these and so far, they've all worked great with no issues. We also install Viessman and for us the price is not that much greater.

The Viessman may have greater longevity if properly maintained, and the UFT doesn't have a long track record yet, but so far were very happy with it.

I try to keep my ears open to what other pro's on here say about a particular product before using it and I haven't seen anything negative so far.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tim_9
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks Ironman, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear from a professional in the field. I could see the mid mass HE's being a bit more robust than the Low mass units. Hopefully with a lifespan somewhere in between the low mass and cast iron ones. As for the rest of the parts only time will tell.

This will vastly simplify my system. Right now I am running primary/secondary with injection mixing and a Tekmar 371 to control and protect the boiler. With a Mod Con, no need to mix or protect the boiler anymore (which also means no need for the Tekmar) so all that will get replaced with a single circ and direct piping.

Definitely going to lose some WOW factor, but it will be simpler, quieter, more efficient and take up a quarter of the space. Thanks again...
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The Westinghouse branded boiler (WBRUNG080W) is the same as the HTP UFT-80W, but literally no professional will install or service the Westinghouse later on as it's a internet purchase item only in most cases and no professional wants to deal with that.

Stay with the HTP brand.

The other thing to consider the local availability of replacement parts. In many areas it's easy to get same day parts for Lochinvar and Veissman, but not so much for HTP.
    Do yourself a favor and look in to it before deciding on a brand.
    STEVEusaPA
  • Tim_9
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up Rob. I will be installing the unit myself, but was going to have a professional come by to do a combustion analysis and make any adjustments if necessary. I'll go with HTP for that reason and future serviceability.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    There are a few of us here with that same boiler, don't be shy... ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable with it.

The "installer menu" has lots of items that can be customized to make the boiler run efficiently and "fit" your system. Have a good look at it before commissioning.