Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler noise

Options
drhvac
drhvac Member Posts: 190
A customer has a 4 zone gas boiler with 4 Taco 0011-F4. The complaint is " it sounds like it is raining when the heat is on" And it does. I cycled each zone individually, and they all make noises. The heat works ok, but the noise is an issue. These people just moved into the house, so they don't know any history. My first thought is that these pumps are too strong are whipping the water through the lines. How do you figure out what pump would be the correct one if you can't accurately measure all of the piping because it is buried in the walls? Any other ideas on what the noise could be other than that? The boiler pressure was at 15psi, and all of the zones are coming back hot and working. It's just the noise. Ty

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Measure the delta P across the pump, then the pump curve will give you the flow through the system. Then also look at delta T, and see if the figures make any sense.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • drhvac
    Options
    what is the easiest way to get the delt p across the pump?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Finally, the following formula may be utilized to convert PSID into HEAD [feet]

HEAD [feet] = PSID x 2.31/SPGR, where SPGR = Specific Gravity
    PSID= DeltaP or differential pressure
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    drhvac said:

what is the easiest way to get the delt p across the pump?

Um... a pair of gauges... one on each side.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    Options
    Rain? My wife used that description when there was some air trapped in the lines.
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    You haven't told us the size of the system. But, unless it is very huge, four zones with 0011 pumps each is way too over-pumped. Look at the pump curves. The 0011 curve is way too steep. Try one zone with a 007 and see if that resolves the noise.
    Grallert
  • drhvac
    Options
    Jamie hall - I have yet to see a place to attach a gauge on each side of a circulator pump on a residential system, so that's why the question was asked. Thank you Gilmorrie. Its a big house 199,000 btu's, but I agree that the 0011 seems way to big.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    You should be able to form some reasonable assumptions about the length of at least some of the zones...no? Do a heat loss for the ones you can, and try pumping those to the heat loss. Or try a Delta T circ. on one. Or , drain one and put gauge ports on either side of a circ.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I am with Boon, I get the rain sound in BB htrs when they need air bled out. FWIW