Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PressureTrol setting

Options
I have cut-in type control. I am reading in Dan's book that cut in should be set at 1/2 psig. Is that .5 on my control? Looks like wheel is set a 1 psig.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Yes, .5 on the front scale
  • richarddowling
    richarddowling Member Posts: 28
    Options
    here is a picture of my control for my 2 pipe steam system. If I set it a .5 does that create more pressure, or is that controlled by the inside dial?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    You should set it just a bit above 0.5 -- putting it all the way down can let the linkage inside disengage, which is a nuisance. Then the inside dial -- which should be set at 1 -- will determine where it cuts out (the cutout pressure is the sum of the outside dial and the inside dial).

And remember: the pressuretrol does not create pressure, it simply controls it so it doesn't get too high. What creates pressure is the boiling water in the boiler. There are many factors which combine to determine just how much pressure the boiling will create -- venting, size of system, running time, room temperatures, etc.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • richarddowling
    Options
    Thanks Jamie. How can I be sure dial inside is set properly? Is there a marking?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options

Thanks Jamie. How can I be sure dial inside is set properly? Is there a marking?

Yes there is. Should be set at 1.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    A lot of these Pressuretrols don't have an arrow or tick mark on them. To set it at "1" turn the wheel until the "1" is facing out (to the front of the Pressuretrol.
  • richarddowling
    Options
    I found a tick mark. it was behind one of the wires. It was set at one. Thanks !!