Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seeking Boiler Blowdown Directions for Burnham Low-Pressure Boiler

Options
We recently purchased a home with a Burhman low-pressure gas boiler, model PIN6SNC-ME2. The previous owners left the owner's manual, but the card with the blowdown directions is missing. The manual just says that the boiler should be blown down once a week, and says to follow the directions on the (missing) card.

I have been searching online for this information for quite a while. So far, I have found nothing. Does anyone know where I can find the blowdown directions for this boiler?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    What type of Low Water Cut-off (LWCO) do you have on this boiler? If it is a Safegard or a Cyclegard, or any other electronic Low Water Cut-off, there is no blow down required. If it is a McDonnell Miller #67 or other mechanical LWCO, there is a black unit mounted off to the side of the Sight glass. That unit will have a valve under it. Put a bucket under the spout and open the valve, slowly, while the boiler is running. Drain water out until it runs pretty clear, then close it. Doing this while the boiler is running, the boiler should shut down. That lets you know the LWCO is working properly. If the boiler doesn't shut down, the LWCO unit needs to be serviced. When you close the valve on the LWCO, the boiler should refire.
    If you actually have an mechanical LWCO, you will need to get actual instructions from the manufacturer of the LWCO, like McDonnell Miller. Burnham is not the source for those instructions.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    This is what the Low Water Cut Off looks like if it's a float type. The yellow handled valve is where you blow it down.

This is what a probe type LWCO looks like. No blow down, but the probe should be removed and cleaned annually by a steam professional.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    JohnNY