Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No circulation?

I just bought this house and I can't get the garage in floor heat to work. I turned on the water heater and turned up the thermostat and the pump turns on I think (it humms). There is pressure in the expansion tank. There is no pressure on the inline pressure gauge. While it was running I opened the pressure relief valve to get rid of air but nothing came out. I also opened the valve to put coolant into the system and nothing came out there either. Pump bad? I let it run for 1/2 hr and none of the lines were warm. Please help! Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2017
    System pressure?

I'd you depressed the schrader valve on the expansion tank, that doesn't prove there's system pressure. The air side of the expansion tank is pre-charged. There's a bladder separating it from the water side.

And you'll need to recharge the air side to the minimum system pressure (usually 12 psi) with NO pressure on the system.

If water comes out of the schrader valve, the bladder is ruptured and the tank muste be replaced.

How about posting some pics?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    delta T
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    It needs to be full of water or glycol before you ever turn the water heater on. The air tank should always have air pressure in it, don't let it out. It should have 12-15 Psi of air in it. This is when there is no pressure on the wet side of it.

Don't run the pump when dry. If you get this full of liquid take the large screwdriver slotted plug out, you should get liquid dribbling out, that is normal. And the pump doesn't start when it should then under that plug is the rotor shaft of the motor. It has a screwdriver slot that you can spin the shaft. These often are stuck if not run occasionally.

This looks to be a budget DIY install, could be full of surprises.
    delta T
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    Is there water in the water heater?
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    delta T