Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

asbestos

lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
so...training today on the hazards and requirements of asbestos. The instructor, for the most part, say's I can never touch or drill anything again..(wise comment) but mentions fire brick...so of course the first job i get to has a 40 year old Williamson furnace with a big old chamber..and of course full of fire brick. So, knowing what I know of the history of asbestos, and the dangers...is this something I need to have removed by a pro? Can I do what's been done for 50 years and remove it like normal... what is everyone else doing? The instructor mentioned different methods of dealing with things but never brought them up...

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,100
    From the standpoint of your personal safety, wet it down and keep it wet and wear a good respirator.

However.

There are a number of regulations regarding handling asbestos removal which are pretty draconian -- and best handled by people who are certified to do the job (not that necessarily makes them any better at it, but they have the paper...). If there is much of a chance that the client may get worried, might be better. Those guys don't come cheap, by the way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Wow take me back ...I never knew the bricks were made out of it ... the Chamber held up well .. Normaly you will cap the top the top with an oil system so the sides dont fill with crud and push in the walls.., my guess it must be gas running all year round .. Collected and trap moisture explodes once fired up, you had to slowly heat or candle the brick first before starting up an system .. Just like concreat and stone will explode subject to an touch ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Back in the day we handled it with care and respect. If it's not handles right is can be very dangerous.

That being said I know a guy who spent years mixing powdered asbestos into epoxy to reduce it's coefficient of thermal expansion. These transformers were for the US Navy and used on their antisubmarine planes equipment. He sat at a bench and mixed the stuff in gallon tubs and poured it into military transformers. There was a fan in the window exhausting the cloud of dust between him and the window. This was back in the late 70's, as of last month he was sound as a dollar.

Do what you will but take all due precautions, lung cancer is nasty stuff.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Thanks for the responses.. sadly I've had a lot of exposure over the years due to where I lived. It was widely used in the old mill and around my home town. We did err on the side of caution and had it properly removed and disposed of. As a company we will be doing this in the future...although it will be hard to identify all of it out there...
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,068
    I was going to say that that looked like insulating firebrick which I don't think has asbestos in it.

However behind the firebrick is some type of insulation which more than likely does contain the asbestos.

as @Jamie Hall said wet it keep it wet.

But you did the right thing calling in a professional

Unfortunately I have had some exposure...so far so good
  • New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Leon82Solid_Fuel_Man