Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam radiator right next to base cabinets

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
We are doing some renovation and we plan to put tall pantry cabinets on either side of our only kitchen radiator. My wife was worried that a massive cast iron radiator right between two 15" deep pantry cabinets is going to make the inside of those cabinets way too hot for food storage which is really what we need for those cabinets.

We're a bit stuck because thats the best (and only) spot for the radiator and also the only spot for these food storage cabinets.
Is there any way to insulate inside or outside of a base cabinet to reduce the heat coming into those cabinets?

Layout basically looks like...
15" deep base cabinet // 3" gap // 36" wide radiator // 3" gap // 15" deep base cabinet

We don't have much flexibility on the layout but any ideas of how to keep the cabinet insides cooler would be helpful.
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,986
    What are you going to store in there? Many foods will tolerate reasonable temperatures. Some won't. Apples, for instance.

That said, what I would do is put 2 inches of good rigid foam on either the inside or outside of the base cabinets, up to a few inches above the top of the radiator. Then, on the outside of the cabinets next to the radiator, I would put a highly reflective layer. This is one occasion (one of the very very few!) where I would consider using the reflective/bubble/reflective insulation (this stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-100-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-48-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011906 ). You could take some of the visual curse off it by putting a bit of trim on the front edge -- but don't paint it. It needn't go much higher than the top of the radiator.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    No way to put the two pantry cabinets together by shifting the radiator slightly to one end or the other? That would then give you 6" spacing between the cabinet and the radiator. That probably will be enough room so as not to cause much heat inside the cabinets. Radiator pipe can be hidden inside the cabinet toe kick.
  • Kahooli
    Kahooli Member Posts: 112
    Yep. Insulate either side. Or build an insulated cover for the radiator and turn it into a convection unit.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,182
    How about a radiator cabinet with an open front?
    A nice stone top with wood sides.
    Or even put a grill in the front allowing air flow.
    Top stone would stay warm.

Or build boxes to fit inside the pantry, some that maintain at least 1/4" air space from the pantry sides.

I would just try it first. That 3" air gap, as long as that is open will move a lot of heat away.

You could put some closed wood box near another radiator and crank up the heat. Even get brave and put the butter dish inside it and see what happens.
  • bipbap
    bipbap Member Posts: 191
    Good ideas.
    I can't put the cabinets together because there is a window in between them and they are tall pantry cabinets.
    I figured it also makes sense to put the radiator right under the window.
    We were probably going to need them to store canned foods and jars of stuff so while I don't think it will spoil it, I just can't imagine heat like that could be good for it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,986
    Canned food and unopened jars you should be just fine with any of the ideas. They're processed, after all, at steam temperatures or above before they are sealed.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England