Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hartford Loop on 1 pipe systems?

I was curious if the hartford loop is also on 1 pipe steam systems? I have a lot to learn about piping steam systems, I understand the point of the drop header, and that returns need to be pitched, but I believe the 2 pipe systems are the ones that have piping going around the exterior of the basement pitched back to the boiler, and those make sense to me to have a hartford loop? Just curiuous if its only on 2 pipe or also on 1 pipe?

thx

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Honestly,it’s best you order up one of Dans steam books...
    JUGHNEIronmanRomanGK_26986764589
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    A parallel flow system will have the Hartford loop, 1 pipe 2 pipe doesn't matter.
    On a counter flow they can be put in, but to my knowledge aren't necessary due to the lack of wet returns being able to drain down the boiler.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    IronmanRomanGK_26986764589
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    As @KC_Jones says, any steam system that has wet returns that are at or just a few inches above the floor should have a Hartford or Gifford loop so as to keep as much water as possible, in the boiler if the wet return were to spring a leak.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,431
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    StuckWithSteam
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    One pipe or two pipe is determined by the number of pipe connections to the radiators......not the boiler. The piping around the boiler is in general the same for both systems
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,182
    I believe your other post you stated you work for a service company.
    You would like Dan's book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating-revisited"
    Great read, makes learning a lot very easy. If you have any interest in the subject, it is a hard book to put down. IMO