Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cool Sign

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
I saw this in a 1901 4-level Victorian in Kalorama, DC. It was next to the garage entrance. A one-pipe steam system still heats this residence.
Grallert

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 684
    I guess they'd rather not have us riff raff come in through the front door.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
    carlcRomanGK_26986764589Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    If you have ever watched anything like the PBS series of "Upstairs/Downstairs or "Downton Abbey", they had entrances for the servants, tradesman and deliveries. So rather than having to deal with the snobbish butler or head housekeeper, you could go see the cook who always had some biscuits and tea available.
    The kitchen help was of that "lower" class and treated you better.

The carry over from that, in this country, put the back door as the best way to the basement or kitchen.

And in all reality you would not want to use the front door.
    The tradesman entrance was the closest to the boiler room etc.
    I am always thankful that in most commercial jobs the boiler room may have it's own outside door.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,068
    hahaha lol. I don't think I have ever seen a sign like that but I have been told to "go around to the back" a few times
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,481
    Well, It looks like they forgot an apostrophe, so, us riff-raff can be smug back at 'em! B)

Yours, Larry
    Erin Holohan Haskelldelta T
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I have seen that sign as well. Probably the same one.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Back in the 1800's, signs like this were all over the northeast -

Same sentiment behind it, the wasps didn't think either class was fit to deal with.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,100
    Some things never change -- same script, different cast.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    It is truly astonishing that some people think that can pegeon hole someone's whole person based solely on race/skincolor/even trade. The "class system" is utterly ridiculous to me.

I have met truly classy people of many colors and many different wealth statuses. Also much trashy people with all the same external circumstances.

On a personal note, I love the sign and am also a fan of separate mechanical entrances.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!