Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing sight glass

Very sorry to bother guys in process of changing my sight glass, but the knobs that I have to turn to shut off the water supply to the sight glass won't budge any ideas?? Thanks i attached a pic

Comments

• daveamir
    daveamir Member Posts: 69
    Here's the pic
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    Judging from the condition of your sight glass I would guess there hasn't been any maintenance for a long time and those valves are stuck with crud. You may need to drain the boiler, then remove the valves completely and clean them out. I would suggest cleaning out your LWCO at the same time.

When was the last time you had the boiler serviced? How often do you blow down the LWCO? It appears to have an extra valve on it, what is that about?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    That valve has probably not been turned in a decade and is frozen like the shutoff valves under my bathroom sink. If you do use force to turn it that valve may now leak.

You may have to replace the sight glass assembly and that may not come out easily. If it were me, I would drain enough water out of the boiler till the sight glass is completely empty - make sure the boiler is switched off and any auto feed is off also.

Then replace the gauge glass, rubber gaskets and slip washers. Tighten up the bonnet nuts (gently), refill the boiler and run it up to steam so you get rid of any oxygen in the freshly added water,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    Thanks I've had the house 2 years no service yet just getting interested in steam heat and proper care I think i will change it the way you guys mentioned, how do I blow down the LWCO and how often do I do that,. Thanks for the advice , also I installed the big mouth on my main vent last night and my main gear very very fast amazing
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    daveamir said:

how do I blow down the LWCO and how often do I do that,.

I don't have that style, but it is my understanding it should be done weekly or bi weekly all season long.

Do you even know if it is functioning at this point? The extra valve on the bottom of it makes me suspicious.

Someone else with more knowledge on that style LWCO will comment.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    It's just an extra valve to make sure water doesn't leak from what the plumber told me
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    Sometimes that means that the first valve does leak.
    delta T
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 270
    Looks like a m/m #67 low water cutoff with boiler drain. Put a bucket under drain , open drain. Then lift yellow handle above drain and water should flow out of drain. If burner is running it should shut off., If it doesn't keep draining until no water visible in glass gauge. If still doesn't shut off refill ----you need to have serviced ASAP.
  • daveamir
    It shut off !! at least that is working
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Blow it down weekly during the heating season. Drain water until it runs clean. It may take a gallon or so until you get it flushed out, after a while, it will only take about a quart before it runs clean. That MM#67 should be taken apart and cleaned out at least once every couple years (they recommend annually but every two years is fine as long as you test it periodically and make sure it shuts the burner down).
  • daveamir
    Thanks, btw fixed the sight glass thanks for all your help guys