Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring a pressuretrol

EZPassGas
EZPassGas Member Posts: 16
edited November 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a gas steam boiler that has a pressure trol an automatic water feeder a low water cutoff and a switch flue damper. A new pressuretrol switch was put in last winter (L404F). The pressuretrol does not shut the boiler down when it reaches pressure the only way the boiler shuts down now is when the low water cutoff switch kicks in. Does anybody have a wiring schematic as to how these items should be wired in conjunction with each other. I know right off the bat the pressuretrol is in properly wired because the hot wire is wired to the thermostat. I can provide pictures and model numbers for anything. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,100
    The pressuretrol and the LWCO must be wired in series. Whether they are 120 or 24 depends on how your system is set up, but in either case they must interrupt power to the burners and turn the boiler off. The thermostat could also be in series with them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Before you go messing with the wiring, when is the last time the pigtail (looped pipe) that the Pressuretrol is mounted on taken off and cleaned out? They get clogged and the Pressuretrol can't see the pressure to shut the boiler down. That can happen in a year, especially if it is mounted on a tapping off of the LWCO. Post a couple pictures.
    JUGHNE
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,068
    need pictures, model of lo water cut off and feeder at minimum
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,038
    Not sure what the F designates. Is it a Honeywell? Should be a P404A.
  • HVACNUT
    Not sure what the F designates. Is it a Honeywell?
    A P404A is the norm.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Why was the new control installed?
    Are you sure the pigtail was cleaned or changed at that time?
  • EZPassGas
    edited November 2017
    I have VTX24 feeder, a McDonnell LWCO, a Field Control GVD-6 flue damper, an Honeywell L404F Pressure-trol, (F is non mercury, has a snap switch) and a Honeywell RTH6350D1000 Tsat using white and red wires only
  • EZPassGas
    Oh and it's a Dunkirk PVSB 4D NG boiler
  • Fred
    That's the wrong Pressuretrol. There are 12 models of the L404F, ten of them have a cut-in pressure range from 5PSI up to a cut out of up to about 150PSI. There are 2 models that have a cut-in of 2PSI with a Cut-out of 15 PSI, still way too high to ever shut the boiler down on pressure..
  • EZPassGas
    Honeywell's website says it's one PSI to 8 PSI L404F1367
  • EZPassGas
    And Fred to answer your other question yes the pigtail is clean I cleaned it out today
    Lid431
  • Fred
    Even from 1 to 8 PSI, it will never shut the boiler down on pressure. the "1" is Cut-in which means it will allow the boiler to start up at 1 PSI or less,but it will never cut out if your boiler pressure never reaches the Cut-Out setting. It is the wrong Pressuretrol, still.
  • Fred
    edited November 2017
    That model Honeywell has been discontinued and it is 2PSI to 15PSI. It does say it had an operating range of 1 to 8 PSI but it is Wrong:
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-L404F1367-Pressuretrol-Controller-w-Auto-recycle-2-psi-to-15-psi
  • HVACNUT
    @Fred. I'm out of the loop a little bit I guess. The PA404A is no longer available? Doesn't the "A" designate break on pressure rise? What's this "F" stuff?
  • EZPassGas
    Well if I have to get a new pressure troll then now's the time what would you suggest?
  • Fred
    This is the typical Pressuretrol, set at .5PSI Cut-in and a differential of "1" for a total Cut-out Pressure of 1.5PSI:
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-PA404A1033-Pressuretrol-1741000-p
  • EZPassGas
    And then if somebody could just paint me a picture.....where does the red thermostat wire go where does the white thermostat wire go. Where does B & R on the pressuretrol go. Where does the Orange from the damper go
  • Fred
    @HVACNUT , yes you are correct. The OP posted that his Pressuretrol was not wired right because it never shut his boiler down on pressure. It was installed last year. Well, it is the wrong Pressuretrol. It should be a 404A. From what I can gather, the "F" is some kind of Recycle" feature but the unit he has isn't even in the pressure range it should be for a residential steam boiler.
    HVACNUT
  • EZPassGas
    Thats good to know I paid several hundred dollars for the wrong equipment to be installed
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 270
    A pressuretrol is a switch,. If you separate one of the connections on the wire going to it , or remove one of the wires under the screw terminal and the burner still runs then it is wired wrong.