Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Tie Rods

CKNJ
CKNJ Member Posts: 57
For some unknown reason, the previous owner removed the tie rods that go across the tops of the sections on 6 of the radiators. Last year I bought stainless steel rods, cut to length and used knurled nuts (so they won't back off) to install. Wrench tightened them. By the end of the heating season they were all loose! Again I tightened them and now the heat has been on a few times and they are loose again. And I mean you can move them back and forth about an 1/8". What am i doing wrong? Did I use the wrong material for the rods? Not tight enough?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    I'd try jam nuts. Nylocks might work, but IDK how they'd handle the heat.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    The expansion of those radiator sections, when they get hot will cause the radiator to expand and stretch those rods. I'm not sure if hardened rods will work or where you might get some old rods for old radiators. Scrap yard maybe? Also, you may be tightening the rods too much to begin with. They should be snug but not too tight.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    I never assembled any radiators but I sure assembled plenty of cast iron push nipple boilers. The assembly directions was to use the rods to pull the sections together and then back the nuts off one turn.

As @Fred mentioned your stretching the rods. If nothing is leaking you don't need much more than finger tight