Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler won't turn on after resetting BASO

Options
I turned off the gas lines to clean some of the burners on this old boiler I'm nursing along. When I turned them back on, lit the pilot and reset the BASO switches according to their instruction manual, now the thermostat won't click on. I turn it above temperature, no clicking sound or anything. What am I missing?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    This is a good one for Tim.

Shut off the power and the main gas manual valve.

Does this have a "live" pilot......in other words does the pilot gas stop if the pilot flame goes out?? This was common on very old systems as the lighter natural gas was considered to flow up the chimney.

Did the red button on the left BASO pop up after you push it down?

Can you take the cover off of the right BASO and get a picture of it?

If the BASO switches will not reset and hold, even after a new T-couple, you might consider having a new gas valve installed for a standing pilot.
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    2 Baso switches??
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Yea,???
    I have seen 4 pilots/t-couple/Basos that leap frogged to one electric switch for a very large burner.

I wonder if he has 2 pilots?
  • erickehoe
    erickehoe Member Posts: 19
    Options
    There are two pilots, not sure if they're "live" or not. Here's a picture of the 2nd BASO switch on the right.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It's tripped. Have you tried replacing the thermalcouple?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • erickehoe
    Options
    I haven't, but the switches stay down when the pilot light is going. They popped up once I shut the gas off.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    You have two pilots. Lite them both.
  • erickehoe
    Options
    I lit both of them, and the BASO switches were both pressed down, but the thermostat still wasn't clicking.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    How about pictures of the gas valve, wiring to it, picture of your instructions and such.

You have a LWCO, pressure switch and wall T-stat all which must be closed before main gas valve would open. And electric power switch.
  • erickehoe
    Options
    Here's the wiring, the baso instructions I used are on their website for the L62AA-5, basically light pilot, hold down switch, if it stays down open main valve and turn in thermostat.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    My best guess:
    You have 2 pilots, each must be lite, each must hold the Baso switch on for the main valve to open. (wired in series?)
    You probably have live pilots with gas always flowing to them.
    They each must send T-couple signal to hold Baso switch shut.
    The red button that will not stay down might have a bad T-couple.
    The live pilots will always burn but no signal.

I would shut off the main gas valve. Shut off the power.
    Then replace the T-couple to get the red buttons to both stay down.
    Set T-stat to call for heat.....turn on the power....you may hear the gas valve click.
    Then slowly open the main manual gas valve for fire.
    Let us know.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    You only showed a picture of one pilot. Is the other a strong blue flame like the one in the picture? Thermocouple should be a dull red. If you can't recall the last time you changed out the thermo's change them both. After that change then controls if the pop up with new thermocouples and good flame like in the first pictuer.