Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi air vents any good to replace tacos? Necessary with Spirovent

cwilliams2000
cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
edited October 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
With the season coming I wanted to replace a few worn out parts. I have Taco vents on all my zones and except for maybe 2 they are all frozen or not doing much. The reviews for the Taco's seem mixed. I would like to get a high quality one that would last for some time and the Caleffi's seem good but wanted your opinion.

I have a Siprovent above my expansion tank but these ones on the zones still seem to catch some air. Or maybe they aren't need with the spirovent?

Thank you

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Can you give a little more detail. What type of emitters do you have? Where are the vents on the zones?

Caleffi is an excellent product.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    A good central air eliminator intro is the way to go.

Use a micro bubble type to get all the air and micro bubbles out. Micro bubble removers will have some sort of mesh or media inside to grab the tiny bubbles created as the water is heated.

The device needs to be in the hottest point in the system, right at the boiler supply outlet.

At a high spot in the piping a float type auto vent or hydroscopic vent is helpful for air that may be trapped in off season.

A 3 in 1 device has addition value to remove air, dirt, and any small magnetic particles like magnetite. The mag function gives additional protection to ant ECM pumps in the system or that may be added.

Installers are amazed when they open the flush valve at the bottom the first time and see how much crud comes out, even in brand new systems.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream