Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cyclegard to Safgard Issue

Hello everyone, so I finally swapped out my Cyclegard CG400 LWCO to a Safgard 400 LWCO. I ran 2 low water tests and everything worked as designed. So I then filled the boiler up to the proper water line and set the thermostat to heat the house. When the thermostat hit the temp, the thermostat clicked off. After a few minutes I went into the basement to find the boiler still running and I checked the thermostat and it was calling for no heat. I shut the boiler down using the emergency shut off mounted on it and waited a few minutes. I eventually turned the emergency shut off back on and then the damper returned to the closed position. After a few minutes the boiler started to fire again with the damper now closed and the thermostat not calling for heat! So I shut it down again. What would cause this? Should I just reinstall the Cyclegard CG400 for now and see what happens? Thank you for any help you can give. Here are pictures below.

Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Sounds like a wiring issue. Re check all the wring. Is this oil fired or gas fired?? Is the low water cutoff 24 or 120 volt??
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    It is a gas fired Crown BSI103 and a 24V lwco.
    Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2017
    Did you change the probe? It appears they are the same standard probe but it may be inoperable.
  • BrianT1077
    @ Danny Scully, yes I changed the probe.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,521
    Yeah, sounds like wiring or wrong voltage control. Good idea to switch out the Cyclegard, so I wouldn't switch back, but rather find and correct the problem.

You didn't jump the TT terminals prior to the change over and forget about doing so?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • BrianT1077
    @New England SteamWorks , No I didn't touch the thermostat terminals at all.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    IF you feel comfortable doing this:

Shut off the power switch

Find the thermostat wires where they connect to the boiler. Mark the wires or take a picture, make a diagram of the T stat connections.

disconnect the stat wires. Turn on power to the boiler and see if it runs....it should not

If after waiting and the boiler does not run, shut the power off and jumper the thermostat connections at the boiler.(I am assuming you have a simple two wire thermostat if not report back)

Turn on the power and the boiler should run and heat with the jumper installed.

After doing this you will know if the problem is with the boiler and it's wiring or in the thermostat and it's wiring. one step at a time
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    " After a few minutes the boiler started to fire again with the damper now closed and the thermostat not calling for heat!"

That scares me, there is no way the boiler should be able to fire with the damper closed. I would go over every single wire and if I found nothing wrong and still could repeat the damper closed firing I would re-install the old control and test again
  • BrianT1077
    edited October 2017
    Hey everyone! I did put the Cyclegard back on temporarily until I could figure everything out. Well tonight I figured it out and it was my mistake with the wiring. I found out that the one red wire that was on the Cyclegard is for an optional feature (burner terminal) that is offered only with the Cyclegard (See pics below). So the other day I hooked that wire up to the Safgard on terminal P2 (See above pics) since it showed P2 was a burner control in the one diagram in the printed instructions. This is what caused the problems. So tonight I put the Safgard back on, hooked it up they way its supposed to be using the probe wire and the 3 wire connector and left the red wire off. I fired it up, let is cycle and everything now works the way it should, so I taped off the red wire connector and tucked it inside the Safgard housing. I now have a Cyclegard for sale if anyone is interested, LOL! My guess is that no one is going to want it so I will just keep it as a backup. Any questions please feel free to ask and thank you everyone for your advice!

Inside Cyclegard:

Inside Safgard with red wire disconnected:

Red wire taped off:

Inside Cyclegard cover:

Inside Safgard Cover:

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,488
    Good work finding that mistake, we all make them but not all of us are willing to own up to it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    BrianT1077
  • mitch101
    mitch101 Member Posts: 22
    I too wondered what to do with that extra Cyclegard wire. Maddening, till I found someone on heatinghelp who knew to leave it disconnected. Am enjoying the simplicity of the Safgard now. The old Cyclegard makes a handy doorstop.
    BrianT1077
  • coolfx35
    coolfx35 Member Posts: 77
    On the instructions, it says SmartCycle is optional.

Can't you just leave that red wired off on the Cyclegard, and call it a day? It will cycle less than 10 minutes?

why replacing it with SafeGard?

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    The cyclegard had the red wire on it, so it was synchronizing its cycles to the burner, but it was still shutting down every x minutes (depending on model) and he didn't like that.

I have to hook mine up to try that Smartcycle feature.

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    edited January 2022
    Reviving this thread...I have a Burnham Megasteam MST288, and I want to switch out the Cyclegard 450-1560 it shipped with for a Safgard 450. Is the wiring for the Safgard truly identical except for leaving that red "Burner" wire disconnected? Just wanted to make sure...