Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PEX tubing - snap rings

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
Have a new customer that has his heating system with a majority of PEX tubing in the walls, Once a year for 5 years he had a PEX ring split in half, it wasn't winter but not freezing temps, It was a zern product and the house is under 10 years old. he wants to replace all the rings, I am a viega guy with the S. S. sleeves. I am trying to convince him to go all copper. or take the pex out and change it to viega heating pex. what would you guys do?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    One type of the pinch rings was known for this. I believe it was the Zurn brand.

If it's O2 barrier pex, then I would not replace it since the rings are the issue, not the tubing.

If it's Type A pex, you can use expansion fittings like Rehau's. They're the best and strongest pex fitting, but you'll need their tool.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    > @Ironman said:
    > One type of the pinch rings was known for this. I believe it was the Zurn brand.
    >
    > If it's O2 barrier pex, then I would not replace it since the rings are the issue, not the tubing.
    >
    > If it's Type A pex, you can use expansion fittings like Rehau's. They're the best and strongest pex fitting, but you'll need their tool.

At the PHCC show last week Zurn was showing expansion fittings, I didn’t think they were an A Pex?

I like the stainless collars best, good hold and professional looking
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    hot rod said:

> @Ironman said:

> One type of the pinch rings was known for this. I believe it was the Zurn brand.

>

> If it's O2 barrier pex, then I would not replace it since the rings are the issue, not the tubing.

>

> If it's Type A pex, you can use expansion fittings like Rehau's. They're the best and strongest pex fitting, but you'll need their tool.

At the PHCC show last week Zurn was showing expansion fittings, I didn’t think they were an A Pex?

I like the stainless collars best, good hold and professional looking

I'm not familiar with what Zurn's new offering is. Roth told me that their orange PERT tubing was compatible with cold expansion fittings like Rehau's. I tried a Rehau coupling on it a couple of years ago and it seems to have worked fine.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.