Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relief valve installation - Go or NO GO

Options
Dale_3
Dale_3 Member Posts: 58
All - We have had numerous conversations as of late regarding relief valve installations and I'm getting put in the "he's crazy" corner again. In my opinion "and I believe the code says" this is not installed correctly.

What are your thoughts? "And code references"

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Not a code expert -- but I don't like it. When that puppy opens you are going to have a spray all over the place. I'd rather see a pipe from the outlet to down near the floor...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I think he means the orientation. I prefer pressure only relief valves to discharge horizontally, with a drip leg as @Jamie Hall suggests.
    kcopp
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    bob
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As @bob shows in his post the valve must be mounted straight up with the stem in the vertical position.

Boiler inspectors in MA are insisting on this for both steam & water, it's ASME Code even if it's not on a boiler

Also a blow off pipe piped to a safe location with the blow off pipe supported to allow no strain on the valve
  • Dale_3
    Options
    All - Thanks for the comments. The vertical position was one of the issues. I should have pointed out that this was a new "yet to be turned on" installation and the discharge piping was not done yet. One other issue "I believe" is the connection point should be on top of the pipe. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    On top would certainly keep less crap from blowing/washing into it.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    think it will be fine after you install a 90...
    rick in AlaskaMilanD
  • Dale_3
    Options
    Does anyone have access to the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code? (at least a snippet about this specific subject) My Google searches have not turned up much and I don't have the $ to buy it.

Thanks again - Dale
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    All they care about is that the stem is up. While a top tapping may be ideal the State inspectors I have delt with have no problem with a 90 up into the valve.

MA is one of the most restrictive states. Usually if it will pass here it will pass anywhere
    Long Beach Ed
  • Dale_3
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed - Thank you for the additional information.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    If steam is in the shell, is there a vacuum breaker on the shell itself?