Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New installation, air purging and thermal storage tanks

kbw777
kbw777 Member Posts: 4
I am new to this and learning what I can about how this stuff works. I bought the "Pumping Away" book and just finished it and am waiting on the other books to show up that I ordered from the library.

I am installing a Froling gasification boiler with two 500 gal thermal storage tanks that are vertical and are 10'heigh. In his book he shows to fill from point of no pressure change and to purge on the input side of the air scoop. With this arrangement you are filling the system through the supply line and through the return and the bottom of the boiler and moving all the air in the direction of the purge valve. This does make sense to me however:

And this is my question: while I am filling my thermo storage tanks from the supply side (from the top of the tanks) as the water is filling the tanks will not a lot of air be trapped in the top of the tanks?

Comments

• kbw777
    I am installing a small air vent on top of the tanks connected to a tee, I suppose I could leave the vent off while the tanks are filling which should release the air from the tanks?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,100
    edited September 2017
    kbw777 said:

I am installing a small air vent on top of the tanks connected to a tee, I suppose I could leave the vent off while the tanks are filling which should release the air from the tanks?

That should work...

How are you handling expansion?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kbw777
    For an expansion tank I am getting a Amtrol Extrol SX-160V, tank volume 86 gals, water volume 46gals.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Show us some pictures! What are you using for return protection?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • kbw777
    I am using an LK823 mixing valve

Show us some pictures! What are you using for return protection?