Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Single pipe steam system

Options
ECH
ECH Member Posts: 1
Help! I have a newer (2007) furnace, oil, steam heat. I have a auto water feeder in my system, replaced feeder 4 years ago after the old one failed and my radiators filled with water and flooded my kitchen. Just recently a home inspector (trying to sell) turned on the heat, & they called my realtor to say that my heater was pouring water. I came home to a flood in my kitchen and basement. Two days prior I had my heating system certified and it worked fine. We don't know if the inspector opened the water cut off valve for some reason or if the auto feeder malfunctioned. I had my oil company out that day, ' thank God my burner was not damaged. They ran the heat and the burner and auto water feed functioned as it should- he ran the water level low 3 times, and the auto water feed did its thing without problem. I am now petrified to run my heat, for fear of yet another flood. My question...should I switch back to a manual water feed, & be very diligent on checking my burners water level? Also...can my burners low water sensor work without the auto water feeder? I have read so many horror stories about these auto feeders malfunctioning.
Thanks, & Amy input is appreciated.

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If the feeder is auto feeding water on its own, low water cut-off (lwc) sensor may be faulty and is calling for water. What kind of lwc is it and has anyone looked at it? Float type can get cruddy fast and should be 1. Cleaned annually, and 2. Blew down weekly during heating season.

You can most definitely run the boiler with manual feed, however you must diagnose the issue as all sensors on the boiler need to work properly for obvious safety reasons.

If lwc sensor is faulty and calling for water, boiler won't fire (or at least it shouldn't). Shut off the auto feeder, drain water to regular water line, and see if the boiler comes on.

All this being said, you should get a tech to diagnose what's going on.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Which auto feed and LWCO do you have? Can you post some pics?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    @ECH , You answered your own question. " My question...should I switch back to a manual water feed, & be very diligent on checking my burners water level? Also...can my burners low water sensor work without the auto water feeder"

Yes the lwco will work without the feeder. Just be sure the low water cut off works trouble free.