Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with locating expansion tank and air scoop

ejp357
ejp357 Member Posts: 2
Recently removed an old wood stove that was connected to my hydronic heating system as well as the giant old expansion tank mounted on the ceiling which leaked non stop. My main question is the exact location in which to install the new type tank with the air scoop. I have what seems to be a good location but I am before one of the 3 zones. The tank sitting there is the proposed new location and I would just cap off the 2 pipes I cut to remove the huge stove" Then plug the old line that is on top of the PCV this line ran up to the giant useless expansion tank.

Thanks for any help"

I have 3 zone baseboard and they have always been useless as system had ton's of pinholes in that wood stove.
plan is seal up boiler properly and replace all the first floor baseboard and actually have heat in my bedroom for the first time ever. We bought house 2 years ago all good no complaints except this heat issue

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    You'd be better off with an MBR (like s Spirovent). The air scoop won't work as well and requires 18" of straight pipe before it.

That being said, I'd put it where you show it and re-pipe the return from that one zone in upstream of it. That way, your circulator will be "pumping away".
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Or this one. Not as many features as the Watts, but the best designed fill valve. No manual lever: just set the dail to the desired pressure. One man can fill and purge without worrying about over-pressurizing the system and popping the relief valve.

https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/boiler-trim-kits-backflow-preventer-na553259
    Bob Boan
  • Ironman
    To be honest, since you're this far into it, I'd recommend that you re-do all of the near boiler piping to manufacturer's specs with the circ on the supply pumping away from the PONPC.
    Bob Boan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    @Ironman
    I like the Caleffi, but instead of the brass tee I would put on a Webstone exp tank valve.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Ironman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,068
    If he installs it there he is pumping away except the boiler is on the discharge side of the pump. Not a problem unless the system has high resistance enough to max out the relief valve which is doubtful.

I would leave it as is and move the return tee from that one zone.
    It will be fine
  • ejp357
    ejp357 Member Posts: 2
    Great Thank you all for the assistance " I think I am going to seal the old pipes I cut get the AS-MB as I don't have the 18" needed and move that one zone closer to the others.