Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

refrigeration at its infancy

Options
newagedawn
newagedawn Member Posts: 586
came across this gem at a house today
"The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    I guess the bottom drawer was for dry ice?
    Thank you Honeymooners.
  • newagedawn
    edited September 2017
    Options
    no such thing as dry ice when this baby was in vogue,...top right is where the ice went, theres a drip tube that goes to the bottom where a pan used to go to catch the water, the bottom section was actually the freezer, cause it was below the ice
    HVACNUT said:

I guess the bottom drawer was for dry ice?

Thank you Honeymooners.

"The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,710
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That's not refrigeration, at least not in my book, it's an ice box.

I guess technically, by definition it is.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Robert O'Brien
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Chris, I would have though that you would have checked out The Honeymooners and would tell us they had a MonitorTop of some sort. I somehow remember one......maybe it was Lucy's.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    from what I understand, the first "air conditioned" movie theater was cooled by fans blowing air across a block of ice.

1 ton of ice 2000 lb x 144 btu/lb= 288,000 btus/ 24 hours = 12,000 btu/ hour where the term "ton of refrigeration" came from so yeah it's refrigeration
    newagedawn
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Chris, I would have though that you would have checked out The Honeymooners and would tell us they had a MonitorTop of some sort. I somehow remember one......maybe it was Lucy's.

I've seen them many times, they had an ice box. A very small one, at that.

On I Love Lucy, Ethel and Fred had a DR type Monitor Top.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    > @ChrisJ said:
    > Chris, I would have though that you would have checked out The Honeymooners and would tell us they had a MonitorTop of some sort. I somehow remember one......maybe it was Lucy's.
    >
    > I've seen them many times, they had an ice box. A very small one, at that.
    >
    > On I Love Lucy, Ethel and Fred had a DR type Monitor Top.

It's your fault that I notice the monitor top that Rocky has in his apartment in the first movie. Haha
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Canucker said:

> @ChrisJ said:

> Chris, I would have though that you would have checked out The Honeymooners and would tell us they had a MonitorTop of some sort. I somehow remember one......maybe it was Lucy's.

>

> I've seen them many times, they had an ice box. A very small one, at that.

>

> On I Love Lucy, Ethel and Fred had a DR type Monitor Top.

It's your fault that I notice the monitor top that Rocky has in his apartment in the first movie. Haha

They're all over if you look. :)

The Money Pit.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    I Love Lucy.
    The **** Van Dyke Show.
    Friday The 13th
    Olly Hopnoodles Heaven of Bliss. Which is where I first saw them when I was 9.

Here's Ralphie, Flick and Schwartz(from A Christmas Story) moving one in Olly Hopnoodles.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    A neighbor of mine delivered ice after the war, I can remember seeing placards in the window so the iceman would know that apt needed ice.

I came across an old ice pan last week on top of someones trash on one of my walks, porcelain on steel.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    newagedawn
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    I used to have one of the ice tongs. don't know what happened to it
  • newagedawn
    Options
    when i was a kid my grandmother had one, still used it, the last big ice block company in this area just went out of business last yr, seems people like cubes better than blocks, so sad to see an era pass away
  • ChrisJ
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have to disagree.
    There's nothing sad about the wet messy ice box with it's damp humid warm-ish temperatures passing away. 50 degrees isn't cold enough and the high humidity isn't good for food.

Sorry but, being a huge Monitor Top fan, and that being the machine that killed the ice box, I'm very biased.

One of my favorite Three Stooges episodes was them delivering ice though.

To put things into perspective.
    A 1933 standard size (size 2) Monitor Top's cooling capacity was the equivalent to 78 pounds of ice every 24 hours. I don't know how many pounds a standard ice box held, but I doubt it was near that much.

Canucker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Probably the only people who wish they had a fully supplied/charged ice box today live somewhere in Florida. :'(

Other wise I doubt if anyone misses having one.
    ChrisJGordy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @JUGHNE, or Texas. Feel bad for them. Some of them have NOTHING left
    JUGHNEGordy
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    The business man who built my house in 1930 was from Sweden and his business was manufacturing ice boxes. I wish Icould find one
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    I did a fly in fishing trip in Canada. The camp cut ice blocks from the frozen lake, which were stored in a 20x30 log structure packed in saw dust. That ice lasted all summer for camp refrigeration. There was zero electricity on site.
    newagedawn
  • BobC
    Options
    There were some pics in the Globe about the ice harvesting in the Boston area before refrigeration was available. It must have been a good days work to saw all that ice and hook up the horse teams to drag it off for storage.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    Gordy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Ice houses were a big deal around here. Before home refrigerators they cut ice from the lakes and as @Bob said packed n sawdust.

The old timer I learned from started in this business working in an ice house. He was an old ammonia guy
    Gordy
  • BobC
    Options
    3PSI gauge
    Gordynewagedawn