Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Running Wattage for Viessmann W-200?

Options
sunlight33
sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
I am getting a portable generator for home backup, does anyone know the running wattage for the W-200 boiler?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Volts x amps= watts
  • sunlight33
    Options
    Is there a place to find the steady state current draw?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    The system will vary it's draw based on modulation, number or circs running etc.
    I'm not sure if Viessmann lists on the label, RLA. Running load amps. Or max watts. Add the total current draw of the whole system.
    The boiler circuit should be on a 15 amp breaker.
    Are you installing a 3 position switch, or going right from the generator to the boiler? Not a good idea.
    Are you basing the size of the generator solely on the draw of the boiler?
  • sunlight33
    Options
    The boiler is hard wired to the house so the portable generator will be plugged into an outdoor receptacle to power it and two refrigerators, along with a few other things. The current listed on the specs manual is 12A. The generator I ordered has a power rating of 7500W.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Do you have a transfer switch which will disconnect you from the utility lines and connect your house to the generator?
  • sunlight33
    Options
    The panel has an interlock kit installed to feed the house.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    My Burnham ESC isn't a modcon but does have an exhaust inducer fan and a decent-sized electronics package. The nameplate on it says 11 amps if I recall correctly.

I have a small solar/battery backup system with a 700 watt sinewave inverter and can run the boiler and (Bumblebee) circulator no problem. Not sure of startup surge, but steady state is under 200 watts. I also operate a small chest freezer at the same time.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • sunlight33
    Options
    Thanks, that's good to know.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    12 amps if about 1500 watts if it is 120, or about 3000 watts if it is 240. The generator should be more than adequate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England