Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing a Munchkin 140 M

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
I have a munchkin in my house. It has served me well. Of course I've done all the maintenance required since I am in the trade and have the experience to do so. However I'm liking the new boilers I'm seeing and the old Munchkin is starting to make me nervous. I did the annual cleaning this morning and the plastic molex plugs are breaking. Nothing terminal mind you, but I view stuff like this as a precursor to more serious things that I don't want happening mid winter. I have no wall to hang a new one from. At least not easily. You who are familiar know the a munchkin was a floor mount configuration. I would like to keep the repipe as simple as possible. I'm asking for ideas and recommendations. What's out there that is a good fit. Easy to maintain, and reliable? Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Any of the fire tube boilers that can floor mount.

If you have any small or micro zones, look for one with a 10 to 1 turndown.

The Utica/Dunkirk laser tube is also a good boiler.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Well you could build a small wall....
    Bosch Greenstar has a floor mount version.

Good to hear from you. Its been a while!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Do you have an indirect connected? Is 140 the size you need?
    I recently installed a Lochinvar Nobel 120 combi and have been happy. Even my wife commented on the DHW function being faster and providing plenty of DHW, she is a tub person.

I previously had a Loch Cadet combo, the DHW function was not great, it moved to the shop for solar and wood backup.

I also had a Loch Knight with the Munchkin style HX, it ran 8 years without much problems.

All the 86 or so brands and models available these days look similar under the hood as far as the parts and pieces. I think most of the mod con learning curve is over :) The tankless brands that morphed into boilers look conjested inside, the Nobel is very service friendly plenty of room to get to all the pieces.

I see more and more composites being used, HX components, pumps, DHW HX assemblies, air vents, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    bob eck
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    Thanks Hot Rod, it's more capacity than I need. It was a rescue take out unit that I kept and rebuilt. Been working great ever since. Since it was oversized I ran the return through the top HX OF MY 110 gallon solar storage tank. Great buffer. Gave me nice long cycles. Also helped run my radiant floors when conditions were right. House Heat load in reality is 75 to 80k range. I will look at the Nobel 120 combo. A combi might be nice since I could top off my solar water temp when the sun don't shine, and get rid of my indirect.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    Looked at the Noble. It reminds me of the TT Prestige which is one of my favs. I've also been considering the Navien Combo. Any feedback on that?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    done a few of the Bosch floor mounted. Nice clean easy install. Not enough history to say how it will hold up though it does look good..
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    Not Navien. Get Viessmann 222F floorstanding model. Does DHW also with its own internal tank. Top or side connections.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Take a look at Lochinvar Knight boiler both floor standing and wall mount. They both have a Firetube SS heat exchanger. As Hot Rod said the Lochinvar Noble combi boiler is a nice boiler with Firetube SS heat exchanger but it is wall hung. Lochinvar offers a stand or you can build a wall with strut and plywood. The Noble combi boiler is 10-1 turn down and the cost is competitive. Where are you located at? I work for F W Webb and we sell Lochinvar and Navien plus Burnham, Weil McLain, Peerless, HTP, Rinnai, Bosch, Buderus condensing gas boilers and combi boilers. My father in-law is having a Lochinvar Noble boiler installed in his house. I have a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo PE110 condensing boiler with built in SS indirect water heater in my house since 10/09 and no major issues with that boiler.
    With condensing boilers proper sizing to the heat load is #1 issue, then piping it in correct with P/S piping and proper venting is very important. Water quality is also very important. Some jobs benefit from a buffer tank if there are many small zones to help keep the boiler from short cycling.
    A good condensing boiler sized right, installed correctly and serviced annually these boiler should last 15-20 plus years.
  • L Thiesen
    L Thiesen Member Posts: 54
    Options
    15 to 20 year life? Is that all you can expect? That does not impress me, my Burnham cast iron boiler is 41 years old and going strong. Why in the world would I install a product with such a short life? I doubt there would be any payback from the increased eficency.