Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Independence vs. Crown Bermuda

Options
Morris_Wanchuk
Morris_Wanchuk Member Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
I am in Massachusetts and converting from Oil to Natural Gas. National grid is offering discount pricing on Burnham Independence boilers purchased through them. I have been getting quotes from local contractors and directing them to this information. I had one contractor say he could get a Crown Bermuda Steam boiler for around the same price as the discounted Burnham Independence. He said in his opinion that Crown was a better product the Burnham. I have not seen much about Crown Boilers online and wanted get get some feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well,
    First, I'd never hire the gas company to put a boiler in. So that takes the discounted Burnham Independence off the list. That's my opinion anyway and that plus a few dollars will buy a cup of coffee.

That said, the most important part is the installation. The piping around the boiler etc.

The brand of boiler doesn't mean much, if anything to be honest.

Before any boiler is ordered, someone needs to go around and do a radiator survey. Personally, I'd also recommend a basic heatloss be done as well and I feel piping losses should also be estimated.

After that's done, the proper size boiler can be selected.

Some guys are going to argue about the heatloss and that's fine. Personally, I feel it helps.

At a bare minimum a radiator survey must be done.

Once the proper size boiler is piped correctly all leaks must be fixed to minimize water consumption. I would recommend new main vents and all new quality radiator vents if applicable.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Morris_Wanchuk
    Morris_Wanchuk Member Posts: 2
    Options
    To clarify the Burnham boiler is bought from the gas company by the plumber at a discount and installed by the plumber. I have had a few quotes with all the boilers the sized the same based on a radiator survey. Just wondering thoughts on crown boilers.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    personally, I haven't herd anything bad about Crown
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Crown Boiler and Burnham are owned by the same company Burnham Holdings.
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Basically the same boiler, just trimmed out differently.

You need to heed the warning about the installer. You want a "steam fitter" not just an ordinary plumber. Steam is a lost art and very few plumbers or HVAC guys know anything about it. The wrong installer can really mess it up bad.

Try the contractor locator above.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcoppcnmdesign
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Best option find a contractor on the find a contractor list on this forum. If none found ask for what they recomend.
    Matt Rossi
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    both are junk
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options

both are junk

Do you have a better option for a steamer?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment