Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Grainger vs Amazon?

Options
Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I didn't read the whole article but I know Grainger does sell some items through Amazon.I still have Grainger and McMaster-Carr catalogs on my desk, they are great reference tools even if they are not current.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Around me Grainger is horrible, overpriced and almost never has anything in stock. I gave up on them. Grainger sells thru Zoro or vice-versa.
    I bought a pipe threader. Grainger was, I think, at least 600 more than Zoro. I ordered thru Zoro, it was delivered by Grainger.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Agree about grainier...not the friendliest place...What is zoro?
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Zoro is the ecommerce web arm of grainger. Wholely owned by grainger I do believe. When I lived in Pittsburgh I would go to Grainger a lot more, good people there. Around Boston I think the nearest location is Everett and I'm not fighting traffic to get there.

They "sell" our stuff. Even though they've never bought any. Interesting how that works lol.

I never understood Grainger. They still call me asking what they can do to earn our business. I explain in detail what they can do. I explain their competitor has a fabulous website, the best, and I can find what I want in seconds. With grainger its way too clunky and takes forever. And then I have to call my rep to get "my special price". Well why don't you just give it to me on the website so I don't need to spend 8 minutes with a rep I don't know just to shave 38 cents off of a bag of washers.

And then I go on Zoro and the same bag of washers is half the price of my "special" manufacturer price than anyone can buy at.

For bolts and related, I'm so lucky to have boltdepot.com in my hometown. Those guys are rock stars. Anything you want in any grade, any qty, ready same day and I drive right by them on my way home. South shore MA you need to try them
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Gordo
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    I built a smoker and needed a 1" valve. found one made of 316sst on amazon for $10.00. The others wanted 60.
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Both Zoro & McFeely's (screws, etc.) are Grainger companies. I don't like the price if you are not a big customer you pay way too much.

I have used Zoro & McFeely's and the prices are reasonable.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What I'm still baffled by, and I mentioned it in another thread I think is Sears.

Sears was the "Amazon" of the what, past 100 years or more? And just as things started shifting in the direction of internet sales Sears dropped it's catalog and went totally backwards.

I've been a Prime member for years now, and once you get used to it, it's hard to do without.

Between Supplyhouse.com and Amazon I'm pretty much covered for my needs. Ebay picks up the slack.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

What I'm still baffled by, and I mentioned it in another thread I think is Sears.

Sears was the "Amazon" of the what, past 100 years or more? And just as things started shifting in the direction of internet sales Sears dropped it's catalog and went totally backwards.

What do they say... adapt or die. Sears failed to adapt.

ChrisJ said:

Between Supplyhouse.com and Amazon I'm pretty much covered for my needs. Ebay picks up the slack.

Add in newegg.com and tirerack.com and you've got every need covered!

ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    NY_Rob said:

ChrisJ said:

What do they say... adapt or die. Sears failed to adapt.

ChrisJ said:

Add in newegg.com and tirerack.com and you've got every need covered!

Ack I forgot about Newegg!
    I built my last machine in 2009 and have been milking it along, I'm long overdue!

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    I've been buying more and more from supply house, they make it so easy
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ChrisJBob Bona_4
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    The company I work for does a lot of business with McMaster Carr and Fastenal. Both are really good to deal with. The service from Fastenal is some of the best in the industry from my experience. They will bend over backwards for the customer.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

The company I work for does a lot of business with McMaster Carr and Fastenal. Both are really good to deal with. The service from Fastenal is some of the best in the industry from my experience. They will bend over backwards for the customer.

That's what it seems like most companies still haven't learned.

And it really hurts them in the end. Bend over backwards to help people and they will do business with you, period. It is noticed.
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Around here Fastenal may be great for large orders with advance notice. However if you walk in needing x quantity of common fastening hardware chances are they don't have it ,or not enough of it. Hence we started to call them fasten none.

Amazon is gobbling up ecommerce companies left, and right.

Sears had an ego problem, was to slow to evolve, and poor leadership. Lost the edge years ago. Ecommerce has since left them in the dust. They held on to the Sears name, and reputation as their savior. Not going to do it.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    @ChrisJ I discussed this with our purchasing manager the other day. Our company provides top notch customer service, our customers tell us often how good we are. We know how good we are and get frustrated when we don't receive that level of service.

He said he has maybe 2 companies that give us the kind of service we provide and Fastenal was one of them. He said the rest are all just different levels of suck. One vendor recently told us the lead time on a price quote is 2-3 weeks. This isn't shipping product or anything, just emailing us a price on a product takes 2-3 weeks! Seriously? Tell you what I will fly to your facility, price it out myself, write you a check, ship the product and fly back in 2-3 days.

It's frustrating because some of the products we are buying have limited options for a supply chain so we get stuck with poor customer service with the option of crappy customer service.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    @Gordy must be a regional thing. I can pretty much get anything from Fastenal in any quantity same day or next day. If the quantity is low because I am just prototyping they will typically give it to us for free.

We have vending machines in the shop from Fastenal that they keep stocked with gloves, grinding wheels some tools etc. mechanics can grab what they need for a job and go. Stocked daily. Their service is incredible. And for the record I have often gone in their on my own separate from my company and still the same service. Perhaps in your area management sucks? I'd be willing to bet if corporate knew they would crack down.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options

I've been buying more and more from supply house, they make it so easy

They are the easiest wholesaler to buy from. With your smartphone you can place an order while on site, in minutes. Completely pain free.

I had an order of holdrite pipe hangers and the plastic bushing inserts with them. They didn't have everything in stock, so they sent all they had and the rest came a few days later. I knew this ahead of time because it shows you the ETA for every product as you load your cart.
    They messed up and were short one of those plastic inserts (couple cents) on the first delivery. Apparently an inventory glitch. They sent several emails notifying me of this. They followed up with a call and let me know that the one insert would be a couple days late and come with they last shipment. They said they were giving it to me for free because they messed up.
    Robert O'Brien
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

@Gordy must be a regional thing. I can pretty much get anything from Fastenal in any quantity same day or next day. If the quantity is low because I am just prototyping they will typically give it to us for free.

We have vending machines in the shop from Fastenal that they keep stocked with gloves, grinding wheels some tools etc. mechanics can grab what they need for a job and go. Stocked daily. Their service is incredible. And for the record I have often gone in their on my own separate from my company and still the same service. Perhaps in your area management sucks? I'd be willing to bet if corporate knew they would crack down.

It's regional, type of service, and size of account they service. Walk in service sux. If I'm walking in I'm not looking to get it the next day.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    > @Harvey Ramer said:
    > I've been buying more and more from supply house, they make it so easy
    >
    > They are the easiest wholesaler to buy from. With your smartphone you can place an order while on site, in minutes. Completely pain free.
    >
    > I had an order of holdrite pipe hangers and the plastic bushing inserts with them. They didn't have everything in stock, so they sent all they had and the rest came a few days later. I knew this ahead of time because it shows you the ETA for every product as you load your cart.
    > They messed up and were short one of those plastic inserts (couple cents) on the first delivery. Apparently an inventory glitch. They sent several emails notifying me of this. They followed up with a call and let me know that the one insert would be a couple days late and come with they last shipment. They said they were giving it to me for free because they messed up.

They also carry what the brick and mortar consider "oddball" stuff
    Harvey Ramer