Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Levittown radiant heating systems

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Posts: 490
edited July 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
image


Levittown radiant heating systems

Read the full story here


Comments

  • barnabe
    barnabe Member Posts: 2
    The low return water temperatures were not a problem for the York-Shipley boilers?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 4,590
    > @barnabe said:
    > The low return water temperatures were not a problem for the York-Shipley boilers?

    >>They were steel drum style boilers.
    And thanks a lot Dan. I had heart palpitations remembering the G.E. downfire burner.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 15,962
    They used a bypass to raise the return water temperature. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,882
    Wow I seem to forget about that original set up .. Do I remember an speical nipple in the boiler return ? A restrictor type nipple ? Maybe they were used in the Bowling Green section in Syosset ... I am not sure
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 15,962
    edited July 2017
    Yes, it was a 3/4 x 1/8 bushing. They called it a Jal Fitting, after Irwin Jalanac, who was Mr. Levitt's heating engineer.
    Retired and loving it.
    Big Ed_4
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,796
    Simplicity at its best, if you think about it...
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 547
    Grew up in a Levittown style house and bought my own Levittown style house up the street with a General Electric LA-25 steel boiler. All of these radiant heated homes had he same boiler and piping arrangement. Boiler was fitted with a 1/2" copper bypass pipe and a gate valve. All of these boilers were also fitted with a tankless coil.

  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 15,962
    edited July 2017
    If you set the aquastat at 180, the floor got 140, which delivered 50Btuh, sq. ft. That compensated for the carpet in the living room and bedrooms. The problems start when you raise the water temperature to compensate for a clogged coil. Meenan Oil serviced all of Levittown and they offered service contracts that did not cover the coil. Raise the water temp and you'd have more domestic hot water, sure, but the asbestos floor tiles would also come loose and slide around the floor.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 15,962
    They also used York Shipley boilers in many of the houses. They called the "Low Yorks."
    Retired and loving it.
  • Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 221
    Great article! I live in a levvit development in Stony Brook. Biggest POS house I have ever owned. Unfortunately my wife loved the neighborhood, so I deal with the poor construction. It is 50yrs old, and still standing, somehow...lol.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 4,590
    > @Suzook said:
    > Great article! I live in a levvit development in Stony Brook. Biggest POS house I have ever owned. Unfortunately my wife loved the neighborhood, so I deal with the poor construction. It is 50yrs old, and still standing, somehow...lol.
    >
    >
    >> What section? M, S, O...
    I remember as a helper hauling those YS's out through the garage while they were on fire. Ah, good times. Lot of slab leaks over there too. "But I just had this tile installed last month, AND NOW YOU WANT TO CHOP IT UP!!!"

    My sister lives in the colonial model in South Setauket off Wireless. Same thing. Cheap clapboard, no insulation, bad windows, cold slab. Had a gas Repco with a tankless coil until about 10 years ago.
    I believe only the College section has Nat gas, but I don't think they're Levitt.
  • Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 221
    edited August 2017
    HVACNUT said:

    > @Suzook said:

    > Great article! I live in a levvit development in Stony Brook. Biggest POS house I have ever owned. Unfortunately my wife loved the neighborhood, so I deal with the poor construction. It is 50yrs old, and still standing, somehow...lol.

    >

    >

    >> What section? M, S, O...

    I remember as a helper hauling those YS's out through the garage while they were on fire. Ah, good times. Lot of slab leaks over there too. "But I just had this tile installed last month, AND NOW YOU WANT TO CHOP IT UP!!!"



    My sister lives in the colonial model in South Setauket off Wireless. Same thing. Cheap clapboard, no insulation, bad windows, cold slab. Had a gas Repco with a tankless coil until about 10 years ago.

    I believe only the College section has Nat gas, but I don't think they're Levitt.

    S section. I have the Framingham 2story ranch. I love the style of these homes, but the construction is terrible. We actually just got gas and I converted. Friends of mine used to live in South setauket park. They moved a few years ago. Still rocking my buried copper feeding my slantfin rads, wish me luck!!! Lol.
  • Kera_Ouch
    Kera_Ouch Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Levitt built home in Willingboro, Nj three years ago and the floor had random cold spots and some areas where it seem hotter than another. My house was built in 1959. i’ve been thinking about redoing new floor tiles on the floorboards on my own but I’m scared of what I would find when I remove the old laminate tiles that the previously owner sloppily installed.