Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mini dual fuel buffer tank idea

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
Looking at ways to build a small buffer/ separator with off the shelf parts. This is a Lochinvar 6 gallon electric tank from a local wholesaler. 3/4 MIP X 1" adapters transition the connections for the distribution side. A Nibco 1x 3/4 double ell to connect the top ports. I'll add a 5500W 240V element as a back up to the LP Nobel boiler connecting to it.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Zmankcopp

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited July 2017
    HR....Always thinking of new neat ways.... very cool. That's an interesting multi port fitting on the T&P opening.
  • hot_rod
    Going with a two pipe buffer.
    This adapter tube is 1-1/4 copper, 1" branch for the boiler feed, 3/4 MPT for tank connection.

Turns out a 1X3/4 MIP adapter fits nicely inside 1-1/4 copper, brazed it in. The other end will reduce to 3/4"' to the manifold.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Harvey Ramer
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Think the reduced size of the fittings going into the buffer will cause any unwanted flow in the secondary?
  • hot_rod

Think the reduced size of the fittings going into the buffer will cause any unwanted flow in the secondary?

I don't think it will. It is only a very short, less than 1" of restriction. The secondary is a manifold with actuators, so it has 100% shut off, and a check in the ∆P circulator on the secondary.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Sorry for the easy question, but what is the copper tee in the first pic. Non bull head tee? What is the name of it. Do they make them for other flow patterns also.
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    edited July 2017
    So Hot Rod is the heating element for DHW heating during summer or to boost boiler output all year around?
  • hot_rod
    heathead said:

Sorry for the easy question, but what is the copper tee in the first pic. Non bull head tee? What is the name of it. Do they make them for other flow patterns also.

Nibco makes a bunch of different unique fittings that could have a place in hydronics. Most are special order, long lead times. I did find a box of 5 double ells 1 X 3/4" with some searching.

You can find this odd stuff on E bay sometimes. Ask the E-bayer for the ones you want, someone somewhere probably has boxes of these on the shelves :)

These would be great for building your own hydronic towel bars or clever radiators.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Wellness said:

So Hot Rod is the heating element for DHW heating during summer or to boost boiler output all year around?

Every now and again I run out of LP if I'm not paying attention. So the electric could be plugged in to get me going until the LP truck arrives.

Or when LP crosses $4.00 a gallon, Again!

With enough PV on the roof I could supplement with sun power also.

Resol has a controller that will dump your PV to an element if you generate more than you use. My electric Co-Op only pays me 2 cents/KWh for feed in.

The control is intended for markets where the utilities don't pay, or pay much for you PV excess generation. May as well use it for some thermal.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    @Hod Rod. Cool setup. BTW I've been looking for a solar coverter that works with resistive loads. I might try that Resol on my DHW heater.
  • hot_rod
    Maybe Dave at NGE sells just the controller for his thermal PV Bandit system.

I bought my solar DC element nearby from Missouri Wind & Solar, see You Tube link.

I think all PV module spit out DC unless you have a micro inverter on the panel. So find an element that works at that voltage. Chromolox has or will build just about and type of immersion element.

I've heard AC elements work, but you need to use a correction factor to get actual output when you run them on DC and different voltage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCMwsDYmAw

Keep in ming PV efficiency maybe `12- 15%, PV thermal 50% or better.

The beauty of PV- thermal is the simplicity, no pipes, insulation, pumps, fluids etc. Wire from panels to heater.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA