Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Paint Options: Powder Coat vs. Spray Paint?

Options
Harry_6
Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
I have a customer who's bathroom (steam) radiators have quite a bit of rust and flaking paint from the bathroom humidity over the years. In conjunction with other system work I suggested we pull them, have them blasted and repainted. My question is: what's the best option? At first I thought of powder coating, but I have no experience with it and have heard horror stories about finished radiators leaking. I, myself, was contacted by a guy looking for a new radiator to replace one that had cracked during powder coating. So what's good? primer and multiple coats? Epoxy? Your thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    I suppose that I'm terminally lazy. And cheap. But -- I wire brush them with enthusiasm then paint them with a high quality primer (I use Bin, but there are others which are easier -- or harder -- to use) and then paint them with whatever colour paint I'm using on the walls nearby; I use top end acrylics (e.g. Benjamin Moore Aqua, currently). Works for me...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    Wire brush with an angle grinder or drill motor, use a rust stop spray, and Rustoleum spray cans.

Powder coating runs around a 400° oven temperature, not all radiators can handle that.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream