Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair or replace

Options
petermcd
petermcd Member Posts: 1
I have a 18 year old home in Maine with an oil fired furnace and a power vent. The power vent is the original and is getting loud. Do I spend money to replace vent or do
I look for a more efficient furnace? The furnace is very dependable, which is important to us as we decamp to Florida for 6 months in the winter. I have read about direct vent oil furnace, we do currently have a tankless hot water system. Propane for the last 24 months is more expensive than oil.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    The real question is -- why is the power vent getting loud? Bad bearings? Unbalanced? Perhaps a slight leak in the piping? Figure that out first. My own thought would be to replace the vent, if need be. A lot easier. And cheaper...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    petermcd
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    If it's been working for 18 years and it's in decent shape just change the vent.
    petermcd
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Power vents are usually overlooked with annual maintenance. Sometimes just the blower wheel needs a little attention-clean/lube.
    Also if your not around all winter I would recommend some freeze protection/alarm so you immediately know if their is trouble. Lining up service as soon as their is trouble could prevent a disaster.
    steve
    petermcd