Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Fitting Insulation

Options
I'm doing some work in my 1927 basement, which has sheet rocked ceilings. The vast majority of the original insulation has been removed (prior to my ownership), but I found a bit of insulation on a fitting. I recognize corrugated asbestos insulation, but this is not that. This looks like something that would have been a paste when applied to the fitting. What is it?

thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Sorry, but there were paste formulations with asbestos in them, for just that purpose. Two choices. Remove with great care, or encapsulate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options

Sorry, but there were paste formulations with asbestos in them, for just that purpose. Two choices. Remove with great care, or encapsulate.

@Jamie Hall When they remove asbestos, isn't it SOP to mist it with water to keep the fibers stuck together?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • curiousburke_2
    curiousburke_2 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Okay, thanks. I've been treating it like that, but I just want to make sure. Definite bummer!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

@Jamie Hall When they remove asbestos, isn't it SOP to mist it with water to keep the fibers stuck together?

Yes. I have to admit that I just encapsulated a lot of the stuff...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    asbestos cement would be my guess.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    When I did some of my own I saturated the stuff with warm water that had photofo in it so it would penetrate easily. One of us scraped while the other kept misting the stuff. Everything was double bagged and donated to the local landfill. All of this was done before they put restrictions on doing such things without moon suits.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Due to the age it probably has asbestos in it.