Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outdoor kerosene heating for house - question.

TwilightTime
TwilightTime Member Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
We live in the far north of Maine, and we use kerosene with a tank outdoors at the side of the house. It costs us about $500 or more to fill the tank, and right now I am unable to bear the cost of even a smaller amount for the company to deliver fuel to us.

So, what I would like to know is whether I can use the kerosene that you buy at a filling station to put in the tank, as this way I can buy a small amount - or more - at a time. It is an old tank (the house was built in 1982), and it heats both the house and the water. The house is about 2,000 square feet or thereabouts. Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    If it really is kerosene that your burners are set up for, and that is in your tank, and it really is kerosene that you can bur at a filling station, then yes. It will be more expensive in the long run, but yes. Just keep in mind that kerosene is not the same as #2 diesel, nor heating oil.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcopp
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Can you move the tank to a semi-heated location? Then you can burn (slightly) cheaper fuel oil. Where in Maine are you located? I'm in Presque isle.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • TwilightTime
    TwilightTime Member Posts: 2
    I cannot move the tank. All I really want to understand is if the kerosene that I can buy at the gas station will be okay to put in the tank. The tank is outside, and as far as I know up here in Maine, only kerosene can be outside. And when I say outside, I mean right outside in the snow in winter. Thanks for the help.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    To answer your question yes. You are fine using gas station kero is fine.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    We have hundreds of those types of heaters around here, and all on outside tanks. The fuel company only has #1 fuel oil available to us because of the outside tanks. I believe kerosene is slightly different than #1 fuel oil, but #1 works just fine. So, if it is cheaper to buy it, that is what I would go with.
    Rick